Suggestions - Birthday

Mr MTR's birthday this week, looking for suggestions, he is a golf nut, a fishing nut and a food/cooking nut.

Always looking at ways to improve his golf swing, I know nothing about golf, so any suggestions welcome. Perhaps lessons/ coaching, not sure??

Cheers
MTR:)

This is my world!

Budget is the critical factor.

My last golf related birthday present was a trip to Barnbugle Dunes (Tasmania) for the weekend with one of my mates...awesome.

So, depending on where you live, try to find out some of the "bucket list" golf course destinations there are not too far from you that he hasn't ever played at, and try to get him a game there.

Every State has golf courses which most blokes would love to play on, but can't afford or justify the expense to play on, or can't get on as a non-Member..maybe they can swing a game for him if they know he's a birthday boy, but it's a bit hard even then if they are a more exclusive Private Club.

Golf lessons are always good for the keen golfer, and if he's not a Member at a Golf Club, ask at the local driving ranges about a season pass or deal for practice balls for a year etc.

Most Pros do a lesson package deal (I used to do a buy 5, get the 6th free, etc); pay in advance and book as required after that.

Tickets to an upcoming golf event are always good - later in the year (soon, actually) the main Tour events start such as Aussie and State Opens, The Australian Masters, etc.

http://www.pga.org.au/australasia

http://www.pga.org.au/

Or; simply ask him what he wants - usually the latest and greatest "Driver" or "putter" are high on everyone's list. Latest top-end drivers are in the $500 range I think.

http://www.drummondgolf.com.au/golf-clubs/golf-drivers.html

Golf shoes are always wearing out; another option. All Proshops and golf shops have gift vouchers.

Industry plug - because I was a golf pro; I would ask that you try to direct the sales of equipment to the nearest Golf Course ProShop (not "high street" golf shop) - those blokes are doing it tough in retail now, and could do with an extra sale.

If you are in Melb, PM me and I will see if I can drum up a few complimentary games at a nice venue where I still have some influence.

Last edited:
This is my world!

Budget is the critical factor.

My last golf related birthday present was a trip to Barnbugle Dunes (Tasmania) for the weekend with one of my mates...awesome.

So, depending on where you live, try to find out some of the "bucket list" golf course destinations there are not too far from you that he hasn't ever played at, and try to get him a game there.

Every State has golf courses which most blokes would love to play on, but can't afford or justify the expense to play on, or can't get on as a non-Member..maybe they can swing a game for him if they know he's a birthday boy, but it's a bit hard even then if they are a more exclusive Private Club.

Golf lessons are always good for the keen golfer, and if he's not a Member at a Golf Club, ask at the local driving ranges about a season pass or deal for practice balls for a year etc.

Most Pros do a lesson package deal (I used to do a buy 5, get the 6th free, etc); pay in advance and book as required after that.

Tickets to an upcoming golf event are always good - later in the year (soon, actually) the main Tour events start such as Aussie and State Opens, The Australian Masters, etc.

http://www.pga.org.au/australasia

http://www.pga.org.au/

Or; simply ask him what he wants - usually the latest and greatest "Driver" or "putter" are high on everyone's list. Latest top-end drivers are in the $500 range I think.

http://www.drummondgolf.com.au/golf-clubs/golf-drivers.html

Golf shoes are always wearing out; another option. All Proshops and golf shops have gift vouchers.

Industry plug - because I was a golf pro; I would ask that you try to direct the sales of equipment to the nearest Golf Course ProShop (not "high street" golf shop) - those blokes are doing it tough in retail now, and could do with an extra sale.

If you are in Melb, PM me and I will see if I can drum up a few complimentary games at a nice venue where I still have some influence.

Great tips, I was hoping you would post I realise this is your world.
Also, is there any sort of gadget that you can buy to perfect a swing, his been going on about this.
I like the lesson idea and perhaps a gift voucher, am in Perth.

Cheers

Great tips, I was hoping you would post I realise this is your world.
Also, is there any sort of gadget that you can buy to perfect a swing, his been going on about this.

Cheers

Don't you need to go to Melb to check on construction or some other excuse? I bet Mr MTR would love to play at a Melbourne course then dinner at Vue de Monde

Cheers
There are a few "bucket list" golf course around Perth that I'm sure Mr.MTR will know of..

There are a million gadgets that have been invented to improve your swing.

To be honest; most of them are a waste of money, because the golfer is hoping to get the improvement without too much work. Won't happen.

You'd be better off to put the money into a couple of lessons and few dozen hours and buckets of practice balls!

Having said that, I can recommend a drill - it is perhaps the best drill I have ever seen - and there are a few that really work - it is the "Towel drill".

It does have a"swing aid" component with it though; which he might be attracted to. The swing aid is a bath towel!

Made famous by Nick Faldo.

Basically;
1. Tee-up the golf balls for this drill - approx 2cm above the grass. This makes the ball easier to hit in the air.
2. Use only an 8 or 9 iron in the beginning stages of learning this drill for ease and better results. You can progress to 5 irons etc as your skill level improves.
3. Place a good sized bath towel under each armpit and then take your grip on the golf club normally (even this part can be hard at first; but gets very easy).
4. Before hitting ANY golf balls, practice swinging the club normally and at approx 50% power without letting go of the towel from under the armpits...for a few minutes at least. Gradually build up the speed and power without letting go of the towel.
5. When you can produce a near to full-power swing with no towel drop, then attempt to hit a teed-up ball, but with approx 50% power again. When he can get say; 6 out of 10 in the air, progress to 75% power.

The first few attempts may be complete miss to topping the ball along the ground, but if he sticks with it he will get the hang of it in a few minutes, and hit it longer and straighter than previously.

The hard part is to resist the urge/temptation to hit the ball really hard before you are ready. Swinging softly is foreign to most blokes.

Please send $50 cheque to PM'ed address. :D

Don't you need to go to Melb to check on construction or some other excuse? I bet Mr MTR would love to play at a Melbourne course then dinner at Vue de Monde
If you come to Melb, I will take him down to St.Andrews Beach with me. Complimentary round of golf.

http://www.standrewsbeachgolf.com.au/

You guys can even stay there (that won't be free, but I know the boys who run it very well, so maybe a better rate!).

How's that for a pressie!

Yes, definitely, Melb would be very nice, but just got back from Hong Kong, been a food feast trying to get 2 kg off at the moment, more food is going to be a killer:)

Weekend at the Vines.

2 x 18 hole courses, plenty of surrounding wineries and eateries, close to home (Perth in general).

Alternatively I play at Joondalup a bit, pretty amazing course and an awesome day out.

Weekend at the Vines.

2 x 18 hole courses, plenty of surrounding wineries and eateries, close to home (Perth in general).

Alternatively I play at Joondalup a bit, pretty amazing course and an awesome day out.

That's interesting, Mr MTR has been playing at Joondalup as well, his trainer is a member there so invites him along now, said the same.

I like the Vines idea, but hang on, what do I do while he is golfing, that's one full day, any shopping around;)

That's interesting, Mr MTR has been playing at Joondalup as well, his trainer is a member there so invites him along now, said the same.

I like the Vines idea, but hang on, what do I do while he is golfing, that's one full day, any shopping around;)

Go wine shopping in the valley

Well, you could take him to Mt Druitt for the week.

You could stay nearby at the Novatel at Rooty Hill. A few swings at Ashlar Golf Course (hmmm...still there? anyway) and a spot of fishing at the Nepean River.

Finish the stay by buying a "I survived a week at Mt Druitt" TShirt. It'll be a holiday you won't forget too easily lol.

Back