Suggestions for a 4wd - around $14,000

EASY, Ssangyong Rexton ;)

this is a luxury 4WD with running gear all Mercedes designed.... Yes, the 2.7L turbo common rail diesel is actually the one from the M270....

And guess what.... you can these within your price range ('04-'05 models, but not the Ltd for that $$$)
:D

that's NOT a 4wd!

How is that subaru not a 4wd? If the only off roading she wants is the beach, and no large ground clearance is required, then it's a nice choice!

I've changed a timing belt on an impreza once - it was a seriously simple job, thanks to longitudinal mount. So if one with ~100k on the clock is going cheap, that hasn't had the job done, keep in mind that anyone who can change spark plugs can probably do the job.

Bumper off
Radiator out - obviously drain first
Timing cover off
Belt off - you can examine how all the white marks line up before you take it off
New belt on - match up the white timing paint on the new belt with the gears
timing cover on
radiator in and fill with reccomended type of coolant from the car manual
Bumper on

I don't think I even swore once! Unlike when doing things like a chain or belt or head gaskets on horizontal mount fwd cars :mad: And I love the previous shape Liberty, the new ones don't look as nice imo - i'd really like to have some time in the garage with one of those older Liberty models - if you get one of them, i'll work on it for you - it will be purring when you get it back :D

I can vouch for the Nissan X Trail. though be marginal whether you'll get one for 14k with less than 100kkm.

keep in mind 2nd hand 4wd's carry the risk of being taken to places you wouldn't take them yourself..............

ask yourself why someone gets rid of a 4wd pre 100km.

much depends on the beach and much driver confidence

as an example 90 % of fraser is like bitumen, yet 90 % of Myall Lakes is bog country unless you run 10 Psi in the tyres and u have decent ground clearance

ta
rolf

much depends on the beach and much driver confidence

as an example 90 % of fraser is like bitumen, yet 90 % of Myall Lakes is bog country unless you run 10 Psi in the tyres and u have decent ground clearance

ta
rolf

Her husband has been managing with a rwd fairmont :rolleyes: so how bad do you think this beach is :confused:

Great Wall have some cheap 4WD's out?

Who know's what they are like though as I've yet to see one, they may be the Lada Niva's of today.....but they are cheap for a new 4wd

SA220 $18,990 on road

Re: The Rexton posted above, nice Soft-Road vehicle to drive, I had the use of one for about six months

Beware the second hand Hyundai Terracan! Their engines seem to cark it after about 4 years and it's extremely difficult to find a replacement engine in Australia.

Her husband has been managing with a rwd fairmont :rolleyes: so how bad do you think this beach is :confused:

We went camping a couple of weeks ago at Dwellingup. My husband says, "I'll park down here and take the camper trailer off". It was down a clay hill. I'm saying, "No, you'll get bogged, park over there". Of course he ignored me and did what he wanted. It took 4 guys, a stack of firewood and plastic 4wd tread things to get us out. Shortly after that a 4 wd went down the same track, he got out of it in no time.

He almost got us bogged in Kalbarri on a sandy 4wd track.

So I need something that will satisfy those situations.

So I need something that will satisfy those situations.

A diff lock. :)

(Checked ARB but they don't seem to do an airlocker for the Ford sedans. Not sure if you can get a good Torsen or a tight enough LSD. Detroit could be a bit rough to use on normal roads)

Cheers,

The Y-man

...It took 4 guys, a stack of firewood and plastic 4wd tread things to get us out. Shortly after that a 4 wd went down the same track, he got out of it in no time...

Well now i'm guessing that an impreza might not give enough ground clearance for what he's gonna end up doing :rolleyes:

So what else is he planning on doing? Towing a caravan or a boat? Maybe a Ssangyong Rexton might be more appropriate :confused:

And is hubby checking out cars?

Value for buck, 3 pajeros to 3 x families here, 2, driven into ground,still running, and 1 only 6 yo, only ever had new tyres, fuel, oil and a new battery..."pajeros".

Diesel, auto. Faithful tow vehicle as well.

Not that big, by the time you put camping junk in back, 2 kids, 1 dog, 2 x adults, can fill it quickly.

They have driven the roughest terrain, varied weather conditions, seen it all...we have found them tough, economical, value for $ and useful.

Or/ albeit tad smaller, the outlander, cousin has one, she has family of 4, 2 x kids, 2 x adults, 1 x dog, and they camp a lot too:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au...home.aspx#/pages/vehicles/outlander/home.aspx

Make sure you get the suspension and drive train checked out before you put any money down.

My brother runs a pedders store in melbourne and is always warning me off buying cheap 4WDs.

Well now i'm guessing that an impreza might not give enough ground clearance for what he's gonna end up doing :rolleyes:

So what else is he planning on doing? Towing a caravan or a boat? Maybe a Ssangyong Rexton might be more appropriate :confused:

And is hubby checking out cars?

Hopefully he'll listen to me next time, but yep, he's a bit rough.

Planning on driving Perth to Bris. Perth to Coral Bay. I want to go to Fraser. We'll be doing more travelling and camping than previously. Definately no caravan or boat, but a tinny or trailer with camping stuff.

We had been thinking of getting a Nissan X-trail or similiar sized car for a few years but neither of us have done much research. Our relative just traded in her 3 year old x-trail with 150,000k's for $14k which kinda got me looking into whats avail more. They'd advertised it for $16k and only got offers for $12k. It hadn't been used for any 4wdriving, but the k's were high. I didn't know they were getting rid of it or otherwise I would have considered buying it.

+i Had been planning on getting rid of existing car at about 120000 k's and upgrade to continue having trouble free motoring. Maybe I should keeps driving my car till it dies and buy a better car when we can afford to spend more.

Back