Suggestions for a 4wd - around $14,000

I want to upgrade from a 97 Ford Fairmont, 125,000k's to a newer 4wd. I want luxuries + low k's, what do you suggest?

Last edited:
tough ask

newer than 97 4wd 14 k .............and u dont want wall to wall vynil :)

What do want the car to be capable of in the 4wd dept ?

ta
orlf

My husband wants to be able to drive on beaches to fish occasionally. Not big 4wd tracks, but he drives the 2 wd like it's a 4wd ;).

Attachments

• crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 362
then at that price range you'd be looking at a little 4wd - suzuki, rav etc ... and they are pretty good on the beach too.

go on carsales.com.au put in your requirements and see what's avail. it's a pretty good indicator.

My husband wants to be able to drive on beaches to fish occasionally. Not big 4wd tracks, but he drives the 2 wd like it's a 4wd ;).

A lift kit and a diff lock can convert a commodore or falcon into a pretty competent piece of off road machinery - especially comapared to a lot of "soft-roaders".

Something to consider....

The Y-man

But that looks butch Y-man. If that sort of thing appealed to her, she wouldn't have pretty butterflies in her avatar :rolleyes:

+1 check out ~2000+ rav4 or suzuki vitara for that price, but not exactly low kays :(

IIRC ~1999 or 2000 rav4 used timing chain not belt!

timing chains are good in terms of reduced servicing (they last a LOOOOOONG time)... i think the VVTi 4cyl engines in the RAV4s have timing chain.
The earlier, non-vvti 4cylinder engines were definitely timing belt though.

not sure on the 6cyl varieties though.

But that looks butch Y-man. If that sort of thing appealed to her, she wouldn't have pretty butterflies in her avatar :rolleyes:

+1 check out ~2000+ rav4 or suzuki vitara for that price, but not exactly low kays :(

Oh alright, let's skip the lift kit.

The Y-man

Dual cab Rodeo, Hilux, Courier, Triton etc? should be able to get a good one for that price. Go Diesel over Petrol though

timing chains are good in terms of reduced servicing (they last a LOOOOOONG time)... i think the VVTi 4cyl engines in the RAV4s have timing chain.
The earlier, non-vvti 4cylinder engines were definitely timing belt though.

not sure on the 6cyl varieties though.

+1

chains MUCH MUCH MUCH better than belts.

delicas ROCK.

Grab a Mitsubishi Delica. Choices are endless from 7 or 8 seater, short or long wheel base, diesel or petrol. The rear seats fold complete up and out of the way for carrying large eskies etc. Middle seats can rotate around to face rear seats for card games or drinking session or slide all the way forward so enough room for double size air bed for sleeping. Although an import parts are readily available. Also has super select where you can go between 4WD and 2Wd or visa versa whilst travelling at up to 100kmh without having to stop. Has central diff lock and will go anywhere the so called serious troopies and patrols go. some models come out standard with LSD and if need 2" be lift kits can be fitted for around 2K or less. You can pick older models up for around 10K to 2000 models for around 20K. For long distance travelling the V6 petrol on gas is the cheapest way to go.

Back