Suggestions for removing tile paint?

I am trying to strip old tile paint from bathroom tiles that are starting to chip/peel in some places. Not sure what type of paint or when it was done, but the tiles seem to have been painted over to cover up some chipped and ugly tiles. The tiles themselves would be around 30-40 years old, and I can't find any replacements for the chipped ones :mad:

I've tried a chemical paint over paint remover in some sections but it is very messy, doesn't remove the paint completely, and can't stand the fumes. Also tried scraping with a paint scraper, which is a lot cleaner but it is slow and tedious. Does anyone have any experience with removing tile paint that can offer some advice?

Also thinking of getting a contractor in to tile over the existing tiles as the walls are uneven and another owner had a hard time removing his tiles. Would it be worthwhile to strip the old paint first, or just tile over everything? Thank you!

If its that bad I would choose 1 of two options:

1 - hammer, chisel, remove tiles and start again.

2 - if the tiles are seriously impossible to remove - scratch the surface of them right up with an angle grinder(make a really good mess) and tile over.

Most professional tilers would prefer option 1 and if they can come off so would i but both can work.

If its that bad I would choose 1 of two options:

1 - hammer, chisel, remove tiles and start again.

2 - if the tiles are seriously impossible to remove - scratch the surface of them right up with an angle grinder(make a really good mess) and tile over.

Most professional tilers would prefer option 1 and if they can come off so would i but both can work.

I agree with the above. The amount of 'grunt' work you can do like pulling the old tiles off and disposal, clean up etc - it will save you hours as all a tiler has to do is come in and start laying.

Option 2 is ok, but tilers tend not to go over people's work, and will want to hit the area themselves getting it perfect flat to tile over.

As a tiler, I'd prefer option 1 as well. As a painter, you are not going to remove the paint without it being fume filling the room. MEK is my personal favourite! :D

Another option could be to hit the surface with hydrofluoric acid, but be careful as that is really nasty stuff (I think you need a licence to possess it and use it anyway).

pinkboy

Thank you so much for the advice, Knight and Pinkboy.

Tried the angle grinder over a small area, and yes it took off a lot of paint :) There is a lot of dust, but it is way better than fumes!

Much as I would love to go over everything with a hammer and chisel, unfortunately it is not a practical option for this bathroom. After talking to someone in the same block that did it recently, his advice was not to remove them because there were many "stubborn" tiles that took a lot of time and tools to come out :( They used pretty strong glue in those days. Plus extra work of filling in the holes in the wall from their effort of banging out tiles.

Great news is that the floor tiles come out easily, so at least the floor can be done properly.

I had also considered a cheap *** repainting job, but that wasn't enough to cover up the cracks and chips the first time so I doubt that another coat of paint will work.

Back