Suggestions for this bathroom

ok, im looking at this bathrom,

raw6zs.jpg

my aim is to do a decent reno on it for revaluation purposes, I could do a fairly small job (eg paint, vanity, tile floor) and increase the rent, however the extra $$$ wont further increase the rent but will be to get a decent reval

rip out vanity and replace with a small new one from bunnings $150
rip out bath tub/replace bath tub or make it into a frameless shower,
tile bathroom floor
tile wall 3/4 way up
remove/replace mirror
repaint
remove the quad in between the sheets and join them with compound
change the light fixture

im thinking of spending about under $1800 to do it, professionally\

thanks everyone,

bloody awesome site this place is!!

Check those wall panels before you drill, remove or change. I had something that looked similar that was asbestos. Had it professionally removed before the rest of the work was done.

fair enough, they feel rather shiny, would an undercoat and wall coat be enough, plus would tiling on them actually stay stuck on???

and the quad in the gaps, would they be asbestos too? im thinking of removing the quad, puttying it up with joint compound and then sanding to make it look better

I think the matching sink/bathtub combo cant be rivalled!

And that curtain under the vanity is top notch!

Leave this bathroom in its original mint condition and keep it a winner!

pinkboy :p:p:p

Keep the bath

Hi TMNT,

Keep the bath and just get it re-coated. About $600 and comes with a 7 year warranty. I just have done a reno like your bathroom. By the time you pull that cast bath out and set in place a new one you will be looking at the same cost. Then put up a bath screen.

Where is your plumbing located? Can you put a shower head and taps at one end?

I would change a thing, that is lovely! Modern and clean enouigh to eat your dinner off the floor! :D

As above, enamel spray the bath or use innerbath, glass shower screen, repanel the walls with new waterproofed sheeting (you can buy from bunnings), retile floor and new vanity, mirror and tapware.

All up 2.5k?

Bath before and after

ok, im looking at this bathrom,

raw6zs.jpg

my aim is to do a decent reno on it for revaluation purposes, I could do a fairly small job (eg paint, vanity, tile floor) and increase the rent, however the extra $$$ wont further increase the rent but will be to get a decent reval

rip out vanity and replace with a small new one from bunnings $150
rip out bath tub/replace bath tub or make it into a frameless shower,
tile bathroom floor
tile wall 3/4 way up
remove/replace mirror
repaint
remove the quad in between the sheets and join them with compound
change the light fixture

im thinking of spending about under $1800 to do it, professionally\

thanks everyone,

bloody awesome site this place is!!

TMNT, This is something I completed that looks much like what you are looking to do.

Attachments

• Before reno.JPG
    Before reno.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 631
  • After 1.JPG
    After 1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 455
  • After bath screen.JPG
    After bath screen.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 498
haha some funny answers here!!!

I would change a thing, that is lovely! Modern and clean enouigh to eat your dinner off the floor! :D

As above, enamel spray the bath or use innerbath, glass shower screen, repanel the walls with new waterproofed sheeting (you can buy from bunnings), retile floor and new vanity, mirror and tapware.

All up 2.5k?

whats innerbath?

so you are recommending removing the walls and putting new waterproof sheeting from bunnings, (or are you talking about villaboard)

Hi TMNT,

Keep the bath and just get it re-coated. About $600 and comes with a 7 year warranty. I just have done a reno like your bathroom. By the time you pull that cast bath out and set in place a new one you will be looking at the same cost. Then put up a bath screen.

Where is your plumbing located? Can you put a shower head and taps at one end?

your job looks absolutely fanatastic

did you move the window and make it bigger? and also move the plumbing? that I assume would be a huge cost since you need to redo the outisde wall to compesnate for hte moved window, and another signficnat plumbing job to move the plubming???

Nice job Hysteria but interested to know final costings, as it looks like you started again?

That bathroom has got to be one of the more depressing I've seen :D- do yourself a favour and start again as economically as possible. With sweat labour, some cheaper fittings/tiles picked up on places like graysonline or ebay I'm sure you can do it within a budget and get a half decent result. I've used Inner Bath once and been happy with the results but sometimes it can be just as cheap to redo the lot- especially if there's asbestos sheeting involved. From your photos and the likely age of the house (50's-60's) it certainly appears to be the popular wet area Tilux or similar fibro asbestos sheeting that was very popular with the 50-70's era timber and fibro homes. Telltale signs are those aluminium strips between the boards. They're fine as long as they're intact but you may need to get them professionally removed.

Keep us posted as to progress and happy renovating!

Nice job Hysteria but interested to know final costings, as it looks like you started again?

That bathroom has got to be one of the more depressing I've seen :D- do yourself a favour and start again as economically as possible. With sweat labour, some cheaper fittings/tiles picked up on places like graysonline or ebay I'm sure you can do it within a budget and get a half decent result. I've used Inner Bath once and been happy with the results but sometimes it can be just as cheap to redo the lot- especially if there's asbestos sheeting involved. From your photos and the likely age of the house (50's-60's) it certainly appears to be the popular wet area Tilux or similar fibro asbestos sheeting that was very popular with the 50-70's era timber and fibro homes. Telltale signs are those aluminium strips between the boards. They're fine as long as they're intact but you may need to get them professionally removed.

Keep us posted as to progress and happy renovating!

haha depressing, not really, just standard in my opinion!
I find that the time and effort finding cheaper tiles, say you only do 5sqm and save $10 per sqm, thats $50 overall, is offset by the conveinece of going to my local bunnings to get it,

anyway, so you think those aluminium strips, cant simply be pulled out by the handyman and joint compounded together?? or you think it would be too ahrd to undercoat and wallpaint the walls again ie remove all the walls in bathroom?

You can't remove those alluminium strips. They are holding the boards together. I would just repaint the sheeting, but that's me being cheap and lazy.

As for the bath I wouldn't bother recoating them. Search gumtree for cast iron claw foot baths, there are a heap that have been recoated professionally and are all peeling and rusting. You can buy a good bathtub for bugger all in good condition on gumtree.

If you want a cheap vanity, you can get a pedestal basin for $100 from recollections when on sale, or they are around $200 from bunnings. Or you can just search ebay, or I think top tiles sells decent vanities for a decent price.

I don't think tiles would stick straight to that existing fibro, but maybe they would stick if you painted with the black water proof tar stuff first. But check with someone about that one.

haha some funny answers here!!!

whats innerbath?

so you are recommending removing the walls and putting new waterproof sheeting from bunnings, (or are you talking about villaboard)

your job looks absolutely fanatastic

did you move the window and make it bigger? and also move the plumbing? that I assume would be a huge cost since you need to redo the outisde wall to compesnate for hte moved window, and another signficnat plumbing job to move the plubming???[/QUOTEMy biggest cost was *moving the window, cost around $550from memory.

The vanity was from a builder's warehouse here in Brisbane, $500 including tap.
I could have used a cheaper vanity but I wanted a good size vanity.

I removed all the tiles, they came off the walls without damage. *Most of the sheeting stayed on the wall's. The tiles on the floor had a mortar bed which I removed to reveal a solid timber floor.

All the tiling waterproofing and sheeting I completed myself. I had to place sheeting on the floor prior to laying the tiles.*
Tiles and materials would have been around 700.

The house was on stumps so I was able to complete the plumbing by myself.
Bath screen from highgrove was 240.

I originally used white knight tub and tile.
After 2 years it started to flake so recently had it recoated by thermoglaze.

If u are looking to put tiles on your existing wall you can use a product called hornex.
Its a latex glue which sticks to most surfaces.
The electrical work was completed with the reno for the rest of the house. There was one power point and a light..say 300.

Add 300 to 400 for tap fittings..mirror ,paint etc.*

You should have seen the state of the rest of the house!

whats innerbath?

Interbath is basically a bath resurfacing and shower repair patent technology company, been in the industry for nearly 3 decades. Basically your old bath is resurfaced with a Brand New Acrylic Bath or Shower Tray Liner to make it look like new. In addition, a Guarantee of 10 years makes it worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back