Sunroom in townhouse

Hello,

I am after some tips on building a sunroom.

I own a unit in a Townhouse complex in NSW.

Each owner has exclusive use of backyard that is adjoined to their unit,
although it is common property.

I have permission in principle by all other strata owners to build this sunroom provided it is allowed by council and is built professionally. I have no problems on that.

However, I have been advised by Strata Manager that I will have to get a legal document done which will put a bylaw in the charter of Strata and that this will be registered with land titles office to indicate that there is a sunroom attached to my title. This will cost me about
$1000.

However, I have also been advised that there is already a bylaw that allows a Patio to built without seeking any prior approvals and council permissions subject to certain criteria.

My questions are
1. Do I have to do the above mentioned legal document ?
2. Is it possible to marry already existing bylaw and my need for a sunroom ?
3. Has anyone ever built a sunroom amongst townhouses ?
4. Are there any DIY sunroom kits available ?

Any other aspects that I have'nt yet consider.

Regards
Chromium.

I would think that you do need the by-law as you are looking to build an enclosure, not a patio.

Someone in our strata block obtained council approval for a sunroom and now won't pay the legals for the by-law so this is pretty current in my world.

Dunno whether this is an issue for you as well but our strata will not cover the insurance on his sun room and the owner has to obtain insurance separately for the enclosure. Not sure if this is standard or whether our strata are being difficult so everyone won't be extending but perhaps you should check this out too.

Back