Sunshine/Albion for first home buyer

Thanks for all the replies, there's a severe lack of listings in Albion (presumably due to the size of the suburb) and nothing close to the Sunshine shopping centre at a reasonable price (when I looked on Saturday, might change since lots of agents don't do open home on Easter weekend).

If I ended up having to look further out, is it better to get into Sunshine North near where the motorway is or St Albans (the part that is close to Sunshine Hospital/train station)?

Lastly, as everyone said the price of houses near Sunshine shopping centre is going through the roof and is about the same price as a house in Matthew Hills, which of those two area would be better?

Edit: Btw, please let me know if I am going on the wrong track, buying a first home is so stressful lol :)

What you pick purely for an investment property compared to a PPOR are different as you actually have to live in the place.

I think St Albans has potential however it is a far way off. There is so much land to develop in the west and St Albans has one of the worst if not the worst reputation in Melbourne. For capital growth you aim for a place that is near amenities (IE. train station and shops, but not on a main road or extremly close to railway line). However you might find for the same money you can get a much better property for you to live in that is a bit further out.

St Albans is a big suburb. Not knowing excatly what you are looking for in a PPOR below are a list of houses that are close to amenities in St Albans and at a decent price range. I used google map directions to stations to help me.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-st+albans-119340035

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-st+albans-119313387

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-st+albans-119282723

While I would be concerned about capital growth I think for your 1st PPOR you should be more concerned about a) can you afford the property and b) can you live in the property.

If it was me I would prefer to buy near the main shops in Sunshine then the Matthew Hills estate, however that's just me. I would also prefer St Albans (but only certain parts) than Sunshine North because parts of St Albans are within walking distance from the station.

Why don't you PM me regarding your budget, what type of house you are looking for (IE. how many bedrooms, bathrooms, etc) and I could show your options.

Last edited:
Hello

Hi Pickle Pickle,

Yep St Albans might have a bad name but believe it or not I made a huge profit in that area in two and half years lol.

Don't hold your breathe but if the government ever decide Melbourne needs to join the 21st century and have a world class rail network that included a train to the airport then on early plans, Albion has been penciled in as the key central station.
I am sure this will lift it's property profile and encourage more development around the area. I dare say it we may even see the death of the famous AMF bowling!

Don't hold your breathe but if the government ever decide Melbourne needs to join the 21st century and have a world class rail network that included a train to the airport then on early plans, Albion has been penciled in as the key central station.
I am sure this will lift it's property profile and encourage more development around the area. I dare say it we may even see the death of the famous AMF bowling!

Probably should plant more trees and increase greenery first. So baron compared to the East.

I have been to the area for a look, the Matthew Hills area look nice, on the other hand there's pockets of Sunshine West where I don't feel safe at all.

I completely agree, but there is one pocket of Sunshine West that is perfect. The pocket near The Avenue. Some huge mansions are recently sold for $900k there. Of course there are smaller renovated houses that went for $500-ish.

This looks like a good buy. Great pocket of Albion.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-vic-albion-118537883

Are you sure?

No strong community centre, cafes or local shops within 10 min walk.

Slightly beyond walking distance of train station (and some will be wary of doing it at night).

If you're driving you'll be passing derelict tenements like this each day: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37...m4!1e1!3m2!1sZa892aBmNRjdrGV3a9fCpw!2e0?hl=en

You will however be able to furnish the place for nothing from old couches left on the street.

A little further north might be better as its further from the cheap apartments on Ridley/Forrest Streets.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-37...m4!1e1!3m2!1s9jpQQrTQ5_3YbBn0m3I4FA!2e0?hl=en

Been to another week of open homes, why would some house have no scheduled inspection time and rely on appointments? Should that raise a red flag? I been to a house this weekend via appointment and I am not sure what I should take from it having no scheduled inspection time.

Secondly, all the agents say "we are not in a hurry to sell, give us a great offer or see you later". Is that a negotiating technique and I shouldn't place much on it?

Last edited:
Nah the market seems to be entering an unrealistic stage in Sunshine right now. Sales volumes seem quite low as vendors are asking for way too much for properties. Research of the area and patience will beat them eventually.

I think Koopa Troopa has sum it well.
Since the station area has been done up looks a lot better and security wise better more lighting.

The way Sunshine town is developing and new Vietnamese restaurants opening every 2 mths you know things are really picking up.

Personally I would buy more in Sunshine, anywhere east of Anderson rd., Sunshine North except Sunshine west(the ground is very soft most houses crack).
I have been investing there since 2000. Do not buy on Ridley st. rowdy area.

Keep looking buy in winter.

I think Koopa Troopa has sum it well.
Since the station area has been done up looks a lot better and security wise better more lighting.

The way Sunshine town is developing and new Vietnamese restaurants opening every 2 mths you know things are really picking up.

Personally I would buy more in Sunshine, anywhere east of Anderson rd., Sunshine North except Sunshine west(the ground is very soft most houses crack).
I have been investing there since 2000. Do not buy on Ridley st. rowdy area.

Keep looking buy in winter.

I am still searching, a lot more properties has come onto the market lately so that's a good thing.

How do the Albion station compares with Sunshine station? Are they equally good in terms of security? Is vline helpful to get to work during peak hours?

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I certainly has learned a lot since I started. If anyone have more thoughts about this area please feel free to fire away :)

Back