Sunshine coast: BUDERIM takes off

W

WebBoard

Anyone with advice or info re the property market on the Sunshine Coast?

Thinking of investing in Buderim and want to know what others think.

Regards

budeboy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

James,

If you want to invest in Buderim it has had reasonable growth (14.29% according to Residex) but the Sunshine Coast has very high unemployment which is limiting migration to the area. Buderim itself has some great buys at under $100k but isn't an affluent area mainly populated by retirees with limited discretionary income.
Another figure which I a local agent told me (which I haven't verified but was told was a local council figure) is that 73% of purchases on the Sunshine Coast in the past 24months were rental/investment properties.
Buderim has great small town feel and some nice views so it depends on your budget and goals really. I haven't done any research directly on Buderim re: vacancy rates etc but as it's not directly on the coast many things that apply to the coast don't apply to Buderim.

Cheers,
Greg

PS I actually love the Sunshine Coast and now live there, but as for investing there I'm looking at Brisbane at the moment.

Reply: 1.1

Thanks for your info and thoughts.

We are considering buying there to live and renting out our home in Melbourne.

It really is such a beautiful part of the world.

Reply: 2

James

I have spent considerable time researching the Sunshine Coast.

As a previous poster alluded, there's a saying on the Coast that the only way to get a job in the area is to create one - ie: start a business!

The difficulty with employment does present a warning light for property investment in many areas.

Having said that there are areas that are doing very well - look for centres that have infrastructure to provide on-going employment in sectors that attract good income earners. Hospitals, etc. are key indicators.

Also, don't overlook the value of renting to retirees. The right property with caring older tenants can be a perfect match.

You're right - it's a great part of the world.

Cheers,

Simon

Back