Sutherland Shire - Advise Wanted

Hi all,

For the people who know Southern Sydney, what are your thoughts on the Sutherland Shire (Jannali, Kareela, Gymea, Kirrawee, Miranda etc.)?

Like all of Sydney, this area has grown well although some parts appear to have moved better than others.

Thanks
Al

I grew up in this area my entire life.

Gymea and Miranda are prob better class than the other suburbs you mentioned. The entire Sutherland Shire is very white australian. A lot of bogans around or another way of putting it, a lot of people who don't leave the area and explore the wider Sydney. Not a very multi cultural area which is why prices in the rest of sydney seem to have gone up in value and out performied the shire. They prob call it god's country because they don't know any better.

He is an example, 20 years ago, suburbs like Miranda and Gymea were quite expensive comapred to say the Inner West or St Goerge (Rockdale area). A house in Miranda for 300K was prob 150k in Rockdale. Today, the inner west and Rockdale out performs the shire by like a massive margin. A dog kennel in the inner west can buy you a nice 2 story house in the Shire.The Shire is so far away now to the city. It was not the focus to be close to the city some years ago but today as you know, it is. For the bogans, they don't care about being close to the city so they continue to stay there, grow up there and buy there. The train line is horrible. No fast trains like the outer west and inner west have. There is a fast service from Sutherland but who want to live in Sutherland and its packed.

A lot of baby boomers in this area are not downsizing but plan to retire in their house. All baby bommers have or are doing renos to their joint. As you know a suburb is divided like a Pizza. Miranda for example has blue chip areas and shi# areas.

There is just nothing happening around this area. Very simple life.

Hi Alexm
I am looking to move to Shire soon so I am very interested in this topic!!
From my research what I heard is to stay away from Janalli and Sutherland

Gymea and Gymea Bay is all nice
Kirawee has its good and bad parts that's why is probably much cheaper from Gymea

Sylvania doesnt have train but its all nice
Didnt know about Miranda's bad parts... MightyWill would you please advice which parts in Miranda are better??

Hi Alexm
I am looking to move to Shire soon so I am very interested in this topic!!
From my research what I heard is to stay away from Janalli and Sutherland

Gymea and Gymea Bay is all nice
Kirawee has its good and bad parts that's why is probably much cheaper from Gymea

Sylvania doesnt have train but its all nice
Didnt know about Miranda's bad parts... MightyWill would you please advice which parts in Miranda are better??

Low class looking houses of Miranda are the ones bordering Miranda and Caringbah, Miranda and Taren Point, and the blocks surrounding the train station and Westfield (anything with 500m).

The nice parts of Miranda are Miranda bordering Sylvania, Miranda bordering Yowie Bay, Miranda bordering Gymea and Miranda bordering Sylvania Heights

Main houses on the main high ways, The Kingsway, The Boulevard and President Ave are crap and worth the least.

Low class looking houses of Miranda are the ones bordering Miranda and Caringbah, Miranda and Taren Point, and the blocks surrounding the train station and Westfield (anything with 500m).

The nice parts of Miranda are Miranda bordering Sylvania, Miranda bordering Yowie Bay, Miranda bordering Gymea and Miranda bordering Sylvania Heights

Main houses on the main high ways, The Kingsway, The Boulevard and President Ave are crap and worth the least.

Have you seen the growth on those types of properties recently?
Probably grown 50% in the past few years, all those "low class" areas you mention.
Dumps on Captain Cook Drive across the road from industrial are fetching 800k these days.
Also, there are houses on the main high ways, The Kingsway, The Boulevard and President Ave which are selling for over 1 million now, which is a new benchmark.

I think Miranda has great potential, and the lower price properties are the ones which will achieve the best rate of growth.

Also, there's nice streets in all the areas mentioned, eg. Milford Rd.
At worst, I'd say there are some below average streets in comparison to the very nice pockets, but don't think you can label complete sections of the suburb as low class looking.

Have you seen the growth on those types of properties recently?
Probably grown 50% in the past few years, all those "low class" areas you mention.
Dumps on Captain Cook Drive across the road from industrial are fetching 800k these days.
Also, there are houses on the main high ways, The Kingsway, The Boulevard and President Ave which are selling for over 1 million now, which is a new benchmark.

I think Miranda has great potential, and the lower price properties are the ones which will achieve the best rate of growth.

Also, there's nice streets in all the areas mentioned, eg. Milford Rd.
At worst, I'd say there are some below average streets in comparison to the very nice pockets, but don't think you can label complete sections of the suburb as low class looking.

800K for a house on Captian Cook drive, I didn't know this. The houses off Captain cook must then be in the one mill plus mark right? What percentage of houses on Captain cook are worth 800K is what I am interested in?

800K for a house on Captian Cook drive, I didn't know this. The houses off Captain cook must then be in the one mill plus mark right? What percentage of houses on Captain cook are worth 800K is what I am interested in?

I just looked on the net and you are right, looks like prices have gone up even on the main roads. Crazy stuff going on. I still think inner west and parts of St Geroge have way out performed the shire over the past decade.

It is crazy, but that's the market.
The most affordable houses have been pushed up the most, that's where the majority of demand is.

I agree the Shire hasn't performed that well, but it's still done well and you can be quite selective with a wide range of stock from a few hundred k to 30+ mil.

Back