Suzuki Jimny

Looking for a small four wheel drive as a second car. Is to be used as a commuter for one during the week and on the beach in the weekend to cart fishing rods, kayak etc.
I have heard the Jimnys are fairly robust and cheap to run?
Anyone know anything about them or any other possibilities?
Cheers Stu

Suzuki's are uncomfortable compared to something like a massive Mercedes S500 i guess :rolleyes: I haven't driven a Jimny, but i've driven a suzuki baleno, and riden gsxr600 & gsxr1000 sportsbikes - all of them were at least as comfortable as other brands i've experienced.

I'd expect the short wheel base of the jimny wouldn't help so much with smoothness but help with agility/twitchyness, just like in any small car like an echo, excel, etc, while the a big wheel diameter on the jimny would help smoothness over bumps, making the jimny more comfortable than these cars of a similar length.

I used to own a 1.3L Sierra (predecesor of the Jimney)

Built like a brick
Handled like a brick
About as comfortable as a brick

Having said that, it took me many places other cars could not (great down bush tracks where a cruiser would have its sides taken out by trees).... and it you ever manage to roll it, I hear you can turn it back over with some mates... :D

The Jimny now has coils (just as uncomfortable as the leaf springs from what I read), and POWER STEERING!!! (the only reason I let it go, was because my wrists nearly kept getting taken out by steerign kickback, and trying to negotiate a windy highway (as in side gusts) was just too taxing on the old back....

Quite economical on fuel (compared to other 4wd's and pretend 4wd's). Will get you further off road than CRV, Xtrail, Rav4 etc - decent low range gear and locking hubs.

If you're serious though, get a diff lock for the rear (if not both front and rear :D)... oh and the headlights were next to useless on tracks at night - used to have a combo of one clear spotty and one driving.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I used to own a 1.3L Sierra (predecesor of the Jimney)

Having said that, it took me many places other cars could not (great down bush tracks where a cruiser would have its sides taken out by trees).... and it you ever manage to roll it, I hear you can turn it back over with some mates... :D

The Y-man

I can confirm that I have helped my mates roll 2 Sierras (one was blue and one was white) back onto their wheels after they rolled them...
One of them rolled because we were doing donuts on some grass and we hit a sprinkler!!:eek::confused: apparently they have quite a high centre of gravity.

They are quite indestructable, however not so good on long drives...I agree with the others, very uncomfortable and underpowered.

Boods

Last edited:
How about a Holden Cruze?

Similar size and seam OK for what they are?

More comfortable, but not in the same ballpark for 4WD ability. The Jimny is a good little 4WD, but it is a 4WD in the traditional sense - built more for offroad capability than creature comforts. That said, I hear they are pretty reliable little vehicles, and are simple to maintain.

One of them rolled because we were doing donuts on some grass and we hit a sprinkler!!:eek::confused: apparently they have quite a high centre of gravity.

Yeah, that's why you need a big sign on the back saying

"CAUTION: DO NOT OVERTAKE OVERTURNING VEHICLE"

:D

Cheers,

The Y-man

ps. my Sierra 1.3 was on raised suspension, so was even higher COG... :p Managed to spin it on a wet road but didn't flip it.

Thanks for all the replys. Not to worried about how fast it will go as only used as a commuter for one person during the week (25km a day in 60km/h speed zones).
More interested in using it on the beach to find spots to fish and kayak along the coast. Sounds like it would handle this well.
Not looking to spend 15k nathan, more like 8k which is what the current car will sell for. This vehicle will be used for our leisure time when I am not working my butt off.

Cheers Stu

More interested in using it on the beach to find spots to fish and kayak along the coast. Sounds like it would handle this well.

Forgot to mention - sand is one of it's stong points - it doesn't bury itself due to it's light weight.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back