swimming pool issues

I made the mistake of letting a house with swimming pool, through an agent, with the condition that the swimming pool be maintained by the tenant at their cost. I changed agents in June and it now transpires that there are problems with the chlorinator. On investigating further the property manager has discovered that the tenant has a maintenance bill for the pool which has been outstanding for many months and no service carried out in the meantime. Luckily, there are only a few months left on the lease and, if the tenants wish to stay on, the cost of pool maintenance will be included in any new rental amount. I know, I know.... but live and learn! I had been assured that the tenants were familiar with all things aquatic and mechanical and that just wasn't true. :(

Cheers

We have 2 IPs with pools in different areas. The first one has had 2 tenants, the first were shockers and luckily we were able to get rid of them after a couple of months. We had sooo many problems with the pool filter and get this one the pool timer for the filter. Huge, huge dramas with the PM as well. A new $5 timer was all it needed, but ended up costing us $260.:mad:

Seems the new tenants know all about pools and are keeping the place and pool immaculate (so says the PM). There is nobody in this town who do pool maintenance at a realistic price. So we have to have faith in the tenants and the PM.

Our other IP with a pool has fantastic tenants who were willing to take on the pool maintenace, but we opted for monthly pool maintenace for about $25 with the tenant paying for chemicals.

I agree IP's with pools can be challenging, but like you we live and learn.

Seems I have a PM who has no idea about pools or dishwashers.... don't start me on that one.:(

Hope it all works out for you.

Sunshine

I have an IP with a pool as well. The current tenants who have been there for about 3 years initially didn't look after it at all. I had to have the filter repaired twice in 2 years!!! Lucky I haven't had any further problems since. I organised a pool guy to go out there and give them some training on how to properly use and maintain the pool equipment. Seems to have worked (fingers crossed).

Reminds me, its the filter is probably due for a service - I'll have to make sure that's been organised, thanks.

Back