Swimming Pool Pumps & Chlorinators

Just bought a house (PPOR) 6 months ago with a saltwater pool (North QLD)

Pool chlorinator (Surechlor) is about 19 years ago (same age as house & pool) and almost on the way out. Pool is about 35,000 litres (8m x 3.5m)

Looking at buying a new chlorinator and local Poolwerx shop who I get water testing and buy chemicals from, recommended Astral E25 chlorinator - $1080 + $120 install, and if I want a new energy efficient pump: Astral Viron P320 eVo pump: $1,485 + install.

Anyone recommend any chlorinators and pool pumps they're happy with and expected costings? Thanks.

Attachments

• PC180023 (800x600).jpg
    PC180023 (800x600).jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 107
Looking at buying a new chlorinator and local Poolwerx shop who I get water testing and buy chemicals from, recommended Astral E25 chlorinator - $1080 + $120 install, and if I want a new energy efficient pump: Astral Viron P320 eVo pump: $1,485 + install.

Cannot comment on chlorinator but will make a comment on your choice of pool shop which should give you and indication of whether to take up their offer:

The Astral E25 is only $660 online + delivery and anyone with basic DIY skills and access to youtube can install it for <$50 after a visit to Bunnings without the need to pay an "expert".

http://www.directpoolsupplies.com.au/astralpool-e25-salt-chlorinator-e25

If your DIY skills are not the best then I would get one online then look for a mobile independent pool service guy to install it and save the $400 that Poolwerx is overcharging you.

Another option would be to buy the same brand chlorinator as a replacement (if available) therefore you won't need to change the cell housing so just plug in the new power supply control unit, install the new cell and plug it in.

When I purchased my new PPOR I renewed the old non-wprking chlorinator with a new Monarch (Davey) Chloromatic MSCS24 and have had no problems.

As for the pump I have PV solar so when my pump gives up the ghost I will just replace it with "like for like" (1HP single speed) as it costs nearly nothing to run via the sun.

I had one of those energy efficient pumps installed by a pool shop for $1100 fitted by the experts so yours sounds too dear.

A pool chlorinator is: a contoller/timer; a transformer; and an electrolysis cell;

timer lifetime infinite
transformer lifetime infinite
cared-for cell lifetime ~50 years
un cared-for cell lifetime ~20 years

most common failure is mineral buildup:: cell cleaner solution starts at $16
replacement cells start at $149,

and just plug in

p̶o̶o̶l̶W̶e̶r̶x̶ PoolJerks

$149 repair, lasts un cared for another 19 years
$1200 replace, lasts un cared for 19 years
nuff said

pool pump 'install' : unplug old pump; unscrew couplings; move old pump; move in new pump; screw up couplings; plug in new pump. $120 ripoff
(pool pumps have the same fittings in thee same place)

Never trust the person who depends upon selling you more

didn't wanna get into this topic, but you made me :)

A pool chlorinator is: a contoller/timer; a transformer; and an electrolysis cell;

timer lifetime infinite - wrong, highly depends on the design of a timer and the manufacturer. like any electronics, can fail.
transformer lifetime infinite - yeah ok, sort of
cared-for cell lifetime ~50 years - plain wrong. cells have coating that goes away with use. the more you use it, the more it goes away. the best i've seen cells last - 15 years. usually it happens where the chlorinator is oversized for the pool, so doesn't get used much.
un cared-for cell lifetime ~20 years - wrong. the expected lifespan of a cell is 5-7 years with good ones. not caring for it can reduce this, but caring won't increase it.

most common failure is mineral buildup:: cell cleaner solution starts at $16
replacement cells start at $149,
cleaning the cell is part of maintenance procedure for a chlorinators. so this isn't a failure. it's something you have to do. depending on the type of unit you get and the hardness of your water, you may have to do it more often or less often. if your water is exceptionally soft, and you get a self cleaning unit - you may never have to do it.

when something stops working: failure,
most common cause of chlorinators stop working, no cleaning : ergo;failure

14 chlorinators installed pre-85
all still working, most on original cells proper care

If lifespans have reduced, that is manufacturers cutting corners
I won't disagree about that, the newer something is, the more crap it becomes

all of the chlorinators I maintain are 1970s and 80s
I'll go with the manuals for the equipment I have,
which have proven pretty accurate for the equipment I have
but may have given me preconceptions that all equipment works properly

Beachy in the op gives much longer than "5-7 years"
much longer than "the best i've seen cells last - 15 years." too

that just means your chlorinators hardly get any use.
like i said - the coating on the cells is sacrificial.

once catalyst is gone, the cell is just a useless piece of metal.

Back