swimming pool

Hi

We are looking to buy our first property in Australia we expect it will be our PPOR for 3-4 years then we expect to move move up the ladder but keep it as a IP. The first house is likely to be a 4X2 in Perths burbs.

We'd like a pool for our own use, but my question is how does a basic in ground swimming pool effect the rental appeal? ie are they a hassle to have in IP's and do they make it harder to rent out?

Thanks in advance

it swings both ways. It may have more appeal in spring or summer but a hassle in autumn/winter. families with small kids would avoid but with teenaged kids can be a plus.

If it is a new/modern pool and equipment, it can be pretty much maintenance free for you. Just pay a pool guy $70 a month to test and treat and you (or your tenants) will never need to lift a finger beyond putting the cleaner in every now and then.

That's been my experience in the last 3 years anyway.

A pool is not a no no but as per Hoffys comments you really need to make sure that you have the pool mait guy visit the property at least once a month.

Tenants tend not to top the pool up with water and forget to clean the baskets and this damages the pool pump, but its hard to prove and ends up being the owners expense.

Some tenants these days are asking for properties without a pool, as they find it a hassle and costly to maintain themselves, especially if there is no water tank and they have to use town water (normally their cost) to top the pool up.

hi thanks for your reply. your comments make sense i expected there would be more tenants who don't want a pool than do (even in Perth). We'll have to think carefully, i just wanted to get the thoughts of others

also keep in mind you'll be liable for pool safety inspections and fencing, etc. which is a huge hassle in QLD anyway.

I would save your $$$ here as you're not likely to get much more (if any) extra rent for the pool in Perth. On top of this, the liability of keeping it compliant, maintenance costs and something extra to cause problems whilst you're an absentee landlord could only add to your woes. Spend the extra money on something like air con to capture the wider rental market. Best of luck.

Jacque, turn your PM back on please :p

Hi dtraeger

I made the decision some time ago to switch off as I was getting too distracted answering multiple PMs and handling my SS addiction :p as I'm sure others on here can attest. I'm pretty easy to reach via my business email however... :)

Hi Jacque

thanks for your reply. The house would be our PPOR firstly and we'd like a pool. But i don't want to have a 3 or 4 years of fun in it and then 15 years of hassle and cost when its rented....hence my question. I'm certainly swaying towards not having a pool. thanks again

I agree with Jenni. Pools are a hassle and it's rare that we don't have issues with tenants and pools. Most tenants have never had to maintain one before and they are not aware of the cost and time required to maintain them properly.

Having regular pool maintenance included in the rent can solve some of the issues but we still seem to have some dramas even when this is included.

Back