Swimming Pools

Originally posted by Jas
Speaking as a mum small kids for a minute, I can't think of a worse thing to have in the backyard. The fences I've seen always seem to be in need of repair, my children (the youngest particauly) are climbers, so nothing could be left in the backyard for them to drag over.

I'd be worried and constantly on the lookout.

Why limit your potenial market? Sure some people might like a people (and I can see Kevin's POV in BNE), but that's a smaller number of people than the entire rental market.

Jas

The best thing we found was having a pool when the kids were young. By an early age they could swim and we no longer had to fear for them drowning. They were both able to cope on their own by 4 years of age. The problem we found was they became over confident when we went to the beach. They thought they were good swimmers and would take greater risks in the surf.

Thanks for the tip guys on my faux pas. :D

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

The problem we found was they became over confident when we went to the beach. They thought they were good swimmers and would take greater risks in the surf.

That's my problem with the older one ATM. He thinks he can swim, but he can't. He has no fear, and going down for the second and third time doesn't worry him.

The good side is that he's learning swim :)

Jas

Originally posted by duncan_m
Also note that the Tax Office has recently said they wont allow claims for depreciation or repairs to Pools/Spas.. they dont consider them central to the Income Producing Activity.

Duncan.
Is this true? Surely it is dependant on the location?

A pool in areas such as Broome, Port Hedland etc are very much desired where it is hot all year round. Properties with pools in these areas attract at least $50 more rent a week.

With all the stories on ACA etc about pool drownings and the statistics that say drowning in the backyard pool is one of the biggest cause of childhood death in our country I would definately avoid buying an IP with a pool - especially in todays litigious climate.

Perhaps buying an IP next door to a house with a pool is the answer - the kiddies can make friends with the neighbours and swim over there.

Nat:)

Innovative Tactic #43:

Purchase property on a flood plain. This way your tenants get the privilege of both an outdoor and an indoor swimming pool without any rental increase.

-----------------

Surely buying within walking distance of a public pool is enough?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back