(SYD) Looking at builidng a duplex - Like recomendation on builders etc

As in title looking at building a duplex in merrylands (holroyd council)

my block size is only 531m2 (enough to build a duplex but combined must be under 265.5m2 not including garage)

so looking at building 3 bedroom duplex of around 140-150m2 each (including garage)

Have researched most project duplex builders with only one plan being suitable. This was from eagle homes, which after my research im very hesitant to deal with.

So am looking at private builders. If doing so what is the process. Do they usually do everything or do i need to engage a draftsman/architect and engineer to come up with plans and pass it over to a builder or is that all sorted out by the builder? Either way if anyone knows and reasonably priced and reliable builders and and recommended draftsman that work with holroyd council please let me know thanks.

Also what would i be usually looking to build a 2 3 bedroom duplexs of around 140m2 with a pretty basic finish?
Eaglehomes price list was around $260k + 70k site cost + flooring and landscaping. Ive also read private builders being able to build for around $1200 per m2 (correct me if im wrong)

Single storey? double storey? what does your block look like? flat? steep? excavation required? is it soil? is it rock? whats included in construction? landscape? concreting? driveway? air con?

what do you specifically get for $260k because that is dirt cheap.

thanks for the quick reply

my block has a slightly sloping downwards

its soil

and im looking for double story

260k is the base price of a project home and NO landscape, driveway and air con is included. $260k may seem dirt cheap but looks like i will get what i pay for.

im not expecting to find anything else for 260k but am looking for someone reasonably priced and is reliable

thanks

You are right you do get what you pay for. That is the ugliest and dumbest floor plan ever - the toilet is situated in front of the living (charming stuff that). Then again $260,000 is super cheap. You would pay double that for something decent and turnkey.

Also what are the conditions of your DA? A slope downwards on the block may require specific stormwater requirements. These are all additional costs.

cheers shahin for the opinion - i think we have very different ideas on that floor plan
thought that's just me personally (and i will be selling of 1 of the units and most likely renting the other one out for a while) so do appreciate ure opinion.

Are you talking about the laundry down stairs or the toilet upstairs?

was hoping to budget a bit less 520k (also with that plan of 260k i would have to add site cost $70k, then would expect 20k in hidden charges and 50k to get that to all complete - so in the end 400k with a company that many people seem to have bad experiences with is not really my first option)

storm water may be an issue as i have spoken to an architect who mentioned might have budget around 20k for that

from what i can tell something most project builders charge with their builds

prob includes council fees, site fences etc

im guessing its also used as a marketing tool (low base price and high site cost to make the build seem cheaper)

Hi OP,

it seems to me that you are looking to build in holoroyd council.

lot size require to build dual occ is min 600 Sq meter ( i could be wrong, but las time i spoke to town planner, they had draft LEP)

You will need to sort out storm water issue... seems to me that you will need a pump out system, if you cant get an easement thru neighbors behind you.

it will cost you around $500k to complete the entire build.

Alos, project home builders aren't the best for sort of build you want to build.

i am talking out of an experience and are in process of building a duplex in the are.

Pm me if you need more details!

Hi OP,

it seems to me that you are looking to build in holoroyd council.

lot size require to build dual occ is min 600 Sq meter ( i could be wrong, but las time i spoke to town planner, they had draft LEP)

You will need to sort out storm water issue... seems to me that you will need a pump out system, if you cant get an easement thru neighbors behind you.

it will cost you around $500k to complete the entire build.

Alos, project home builders aren't the best for sort of build you want to build.

i am talking out of an experience and are in process of building a duplex in the are.

Pm me if you need more details!

Hi mflying,

Can I ask what profit margin your duplex development would be? I've looked over heaps of areas in western Sydney and 'm really struggling to see anything (duplex's or 3/4 units) with over 15% profit margin. Can I PM you for details?

Cheers

Back