Sydney Aircraft Noise

Hi All,

I know this topic has been discussed numerous times although, I'd like to get feedback from people living in Sydney regarding the aircraft noise.

A lot of the areas we are considering are affected by aircraft noise. This is something unusual for us giving we've relocated from Melbourne where this wasn't such a problem.

We met a number of people at open houses yesterday, all of which said that it doesn't bother them, although they had been living in affected areas of Sydney for many years. All of whom who also said "you get used to it".

I've been glued to the Flight Tracker (http://webtrak.bksv.com/syd) for the last 24 hours, just watching arrivals and departures. The sound meter readings at various parts of Sydney can be up to 75db (directly under).

A couple of properties we like have been directly under the flight path. How do people cope with this and is it tolerable? I guess the latter is individually subjective but I'd be interested to know. We've stood on the street and it seems tolerable. Right now we live on a main road, so not sure what's worse, aircraft noise or constant traffic?

For us, we're going to need to sacrifice on something on our 'wish list' as we're quickly being priced out of the areas we like (East, Inner West, etc). We've seen properties that tick most boxes but then things like aircraft noise come into question and we're not 110% sure what we can and can't live with just yet.

Propertunity posted a reply to another users question regarding noise and his comments were:

Hi Belbo, thanks for asking :)

We recently purchased a semi for FHBs in Tempe. Yes, you can almost read the recommended tyre pressures on the wheels of the aircraft as they come in to land BUT:
1. If aircraft noise was a limiting factor in terms of CG, then why is one of the worst affected suburbs, Summer Hill, also one of the best CG performers?
2. Noise only lasts a fraction of a minute before it passes.
3. The SYD curfew means no noise from 11:00pm to 6:00am
4. For those properties affected, the govt. has already forked out for ceiling insulation and double glazing.
5. The new generation of aircraft have more efficient and quieter engines.

So, the suburbs in this corridor are really undergoing gentrification. There are renos happening everywhere you look. If you look at the census data you will also see a lot of high income earners moving into the area. On top of that it is very affordable. You can pick up a renovators delight for under $600K.

It's all about transport (which is good), proximity to the CBD and airport (for frequent flying business people), and coffee / cafes which are in abundance.

Do the above principals still ring true? With respect to the Government insulation program, is this still in effect and applicable to new builds? Are these corridors still undergoing gentrification (i.e. Mascot, etc)?

We're a young professional couple and the principals of good transport and links to the CBD are key for both of us. I think we've been priced out of a few areas that have already experienced good CG but we're on the hunt for something that we can live in initially, with good CG prospects but also be able to rent out in the longer term. I get the impression that Mascot has been flying a little under the radar (literally! LOL) at present.

Cheers.

It all depends upon what you're after Schmick.

Mascot and its surrounds can have very quiet pockets but also noisy ones depending upon where they sit in relation to the runways. That is by the time planes get to Sydenham, Tempe, Mascot etc they are committed to a very tight flight path. Sit in the streets where you want to look and listen to the noise.

Further out, say Leichhardt, Ashfield, Ashbury, Canterbury, Dulwich Hill can be much quieter and still have great access to the CBD.

Skip again out to Burwood/Strathfield/Homebush/Flemington (proper) and it is rare to see a plane.

Skip again out to Burwood/Strathfield/Homebush/Flemington (proper) and it is rare to see a plane.

I can tell you that Burwood/Strathfield experience planes daily, its not too bad, maybe 1 every 1 to 2 hours. Its still loud though. Personally think Canterbury gets less planes than Burwood/Strathfield, maybe 1 every 2 to 3 hours.

That said, mates place in Northmead, no plane noise whatsoever.

Living directly under a flight path would suck, but you very quickly get used to plane noise when they're passing just 2-3 km away overhead. Comes with the territory.

Lived under a flight path in Mascot, Sydney. You do not get used to the plane noise. I went batty and moved to Chifley (with no plane noise). Lovely place.

Do not buy under a flight path!

Mascot and its surrounds can have very quiet pockets but also noisy ones depending upon where they sit in relation to the runways.

Scott No Mates,

Looking particularly at Macintosh Street, Mascot.

We sat in the street for sometime, there were a few planes flying overhead, as you mentioned they bank pretty quickly to the right after take off and out to Botany Bay.

The noise didn't seem to bad and the planes weren't particularly low, we've seen lower in other parts of Sydney. Guess we question whether or not it would totally bother us sitting outside in a courtyard environment per se.

Do you know anything about gentrification in the area around Mascot station? Looks like the urban renewal plan is on hold because of Westconnex but Meriton are developing a master plan community there with shopping centre.

Lived under a flight path in Mascot, Sydney. You do not get used to the plane noise. I went batty and moved to Chifley (with no plane noise). Lovely place.

Do not buy under a flight path!

Roachy,

What street in Mascot?

Hmm, looked out to Chifley also. What's the transport like to the CBD?

I can tell you that Burwood/Strathfield experience planes daily, its not too bad, maybe 1 every 1 to 2 hours. Its still loud though. Personally think Canterbury gets less planes than Burwood/Strathfield, maybe 1 every 2 to 3 hours.

I don't know what drugs you're on neK but it looking at the ANEF Maps you'd be lucky to work out whether it was an A380 or an Airbus with the infrequent flights over these areas (they don't even rate). :confused: I have to open my front and back doors occasionally to let the slow climbing cargo planes through my place.

Sydney ANEF 2012

Even when you consider the projected air traffic in another 7 years, the silence is deafening.

Sydney ANEF 2029

Those maps might give you some idea as well Schmick

Last edited:
Johnson St. 2 streets back from Botany Rd. Worst place I've ever lived and I've lived throughout Australia.

A number of buses go to the city. I believe the 390s go direct to the city.

I don't know what drugs you're on neK but it looking at the ANEF Maps you'd be lucky to work out whether it was an A380 or an Airbus with the infrequent flights over these areas (they don't even rate). :confused: I have to open my front and back doors occasionally to let the slow climbing cargo planes through my place.

Sydney ANEF 2012

Even when you consider the projected air traffic in another 7 years, the silence is deafening.

Sydney ANEF 2029

Scott, out of curiosity, where are you living? Seems like you have to deal with a bit of aircraft noise also.

How do I interpret those maps?

For example, parts of Mascot appear to be within ANEF Contour 25 & 30. Does the 25 & 30 represent acceptable dB tolerances within that band or project noise readings?

I assume new builds also have to comply with code and for 20 ANEF to 25 ANEF its stipulated that land use authorities may consider the incorporation of noise control features in the construction of residences or schools is appropriate.

Who makes the dermination, the builder/developer or Council at the planning stage?

Hmm... Runways 16R/34L and 16L/34R seem to handle the bulk of the traffic with up to 200 - 300 flights per day!

Sydney ANEF 2012

Sydney ANEF 2029

There are maps and then there's experiencing it. Just because its not detailed on some report does not mean it does not exist. I'm pretty sure I don't imagine these planes flying over my head, nor do i imagine the conversations i am having with my neighbour while they occur.

Btw here's a google map link showing sydney flight paths... these seem to match more than the report you've linked to.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=105686047848531438589.00046881acd1e03708602
http://webtrak.bksv.com/syd

I live in a flight path not far from the airport where planes are often only 300-500m above and it's loud. Not sure how many decibels though. I really noticed it when I first moved here but barely notice it now. There's a particular Tiger flight that lands about 2am and 5am and it doesn't interrupt my sleep.

If I'm outside I reckon it's pretty cool watching them so close, but then again, I've always been fascinated by planes.

Back