Sydney Airport train RIP OFF!

Was road tripping last week. Ended up in Newcastle and had a flight out of Sydney back to Adelaide.

Train from Newcastle to Sydney was ~$8.60 was around a 3 hour train ride

Train from Sydney CBD to Sydney Airport was ~$16.40 was around a 5 min train ride.

Go figure. Would of made sense the other way around.

Would of been close to being cheaper to get a cab (with others)

I remember that from when i was last there.
Its a privately owned section so they can charge what they want.

I remember that from when i was last there.
Its a privately owned section so they can charge what they want.

Yes that's exactly what the train ticket guy told me after I laughed at him and said I've just come 161km for $8.60 and now need to pay $16+ for 6km to get to airport.

Next time will look to get a cab straight from hotel room.

Yes that's exactly what the train ticket guy told me after I laughed at him and said I've just come 161km for $8.60 and now need to pay $16+ for 6km to get to airport.

Next time will look to get a cab straight from hotel room.

You'll still find that the airport train is still cheaper if you're travelling on your own.

Both the Airport lines in Brisbane and Sydney are owned by private consortiums, so they have their own extra surcharges in the form of station access to the tickets.

Was road tripping last week. Ended up in Newcastle and had a flight out of Sydney back to Adelaide.

Train from Sydney CBD to Sydney Airport was ~$16.40 was around a 5 min train ride.

Interesting...you paid the same price from the city as I did from Epping NSW

Anything to do with any airport costs a lot. Parking is also exorbitant. Rents for businesses are also extremely high. I suspect that taxis are charged a fee to use the space.

They know there's not much of an alternative for people.

Anything to do with any airport costs a lot. Parking is also exorbitant. Rents for businesses are also extremely high. I suspect that taxis are charged a fee to use the space.

They know there's not much of an alternative for people.

There's one, maybe two bucks for cabs at Brisbane airport - get's added to the bill.

they are balancing maximum the damage to our wallets whilst not pushing us all into Cabs.

Train is quicker too.

does sydney have a heliport in the CBD yet?

I fly in and out of Sydney airport a lot. Often I head from our office in the city to the airport. I catch the train because it's usually quicker.
Coming home, anybody who has ever stood in that taxi queue in peak hour at the airport will get the train. It can sometimes take half an hour to get a taxi.

I picked someone up from Sydney airport on the weekend, I was there for 15min and it cost $16. Sometimes I get a taxi from the city to the airport and it i s around $40. There are also private buses from the hotels which cost around $15.

For Sydney airport, we caught a bus from Central Station and got off at Robey St. Footed the 500m to the temrinal.

Sydney buses 310
City to Eastgardens service

$3.70 per person. Beat that!!!! :D

(and took only 30 minutes - albeit outbound in the morning)

The Y-man

Not only applies to Sydney, but all airports are ripoffs, that is a given fact.

I still can't over the fact some countries charges an airport tax?
And its mandatory that you pay for this tax if you use their terminals.. :eek:

Everyone can whinge but I don't think our train fares are high enough. This is one reason why a private company can't compete with our public transport system.
That airport line won't be viable if not for that $16.40. It wouldn't have happened if not for that price.

Everyone can whinge but I don't think our train fares are high enough. This is one reason why a private company can't compete with our public transport system.
That airport line won't be viable if not for that $16.40. It wouldn't have happened if not for that price.

This is a perfect example of Australia been over priced

Our services cannot be offered if we do not hit a certain price point, based on that, to our average consumer, the final price is too high to accept for most.

Hence we are losing some of our services with outsourcing to other countries, starting with our employment opportunities. Because, our prices are too high

First time in Sydney airport train mate? :D They have the so called "airport charge"

Cheaper to get off in the station before airport and get a taxi :rolleyes:

I agree - I can't believe you paid only $8.60 from Newcastle to Sydney. Was that with a discount or concession? No wonder our trains are going broke.

If you were driving, then fuel alone would be around $60+

Back