Sydney based with max $170k to spend

Hello

I've got $18k banked, can borrow max $170k. I'm not a fan of units, and I confirmed this thought when I inspected one the other day - I dont want the hassle of a body corporate. So, I'm left with houses on single title land.

No longer can I find a house in capital cities for this range - Elizabeth in S.A was the last place - I'm seeing many semi's (duplexes) - but not to my interest!

So, now I'm looking somewhere between 65km-150km of capital cities more so near water in the following cities:

1. NSW (I bought a house on the Sth coast 18mths ago $150k & no equity at the moment due to it being very flat - Im not looking there again so my eggs aren't in one basket - so I've read!!!)
2. SA
3. QLD
4. VIC
5. TAS

I've been considering to hold off until I can double on a deposit and gain equity in the first IP.

What are your suggestions on the above 5 states with houses in the $170k range within 65-150km of Capital cities?

What are your suggestions on my situation (with my savings, borrowing power, first IP and looking for a 2nd IP) ?

Thanks
:)

I'd be considering the southern suburbs of Adelaide (Christies Downs, Hackham etc). Note these are not prestige suburbs but they are in your price range. For high 100k you can get a 3 x 1 on 650 sqm less than 30 km from the CBD and it's also near the beach. Adelaide market is hot right now.

PS I've got one in the southern suburbs and two in the northern suburbs. I definitely prefer south.

All the best. ;)

Hello

I've got $18k banked, can borrow max $170k. I'm not a fan of units, and I confirmed this thought when I inspected one the other day - I dont want the hassle of a body corporate. So, I'm left with houses on single title land.

Interesting. In your opinion, Boost, what's the hassle with body corporate? As opposed to a house, where you would have to get everything fixed yourself?
Alex

Interesting. In your opinion, Boost, what's the hassle with body corporate? As opposed to a house, where you would have to get everything fixed yourself?
Alex

Good question...

I have inspected a couple of units in Merrylands & Guilford (Sydney) - they were older style - great floor plan on one, also in my price range. However, the small brick retaining wall at the front of the units was breaking away and look like it had eroded over some time - is someone sat on it, they would fall back and hit their head on a tree, additionally the entire inside of the common area in the unit block was carpeted - it was dreadfully filthy with chewing gum stuck everywhere, and the carpet could do with replacement then a regular steam clean.

The agent & I were having a chat on the subject of body corp. He was saying most of the older style units in the area were of similar quality. He also indicated alot of the owners do not want to pay the extra to have these things replaced/fixed causing the buildings to look poor.

This made me think that I don't wnt to get in the hassle of having these debates and sitting at meetings trying to make a point.

On this particular unit the strata is $416/qtr - to me that seemed far fetched considering the state of the inside common area and the external area.

Location wise: Fantastic and unique - the street it is in is not saturated with units which is what attracted me to it, and it was already rented at $220/week on a $180k unit. Vacancy rates in the area are low as well.

With a house, it's in my own control to ensure the inside and outside is presentable and safe.

I guess from what I have seen of units in my price range, and what I have heard about strata has put me off.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'd like to say three cheers for Boost!!

Here's a Gen X/Y (I assume, if still living at home) who's NOT whining about affordability but getting out there and getting started. He/she will no doubt end up in the kind of house that the rest of Gen X/Y will still be griping that they can't afford in 20 years time.

Good on ya Boost!

I'd be considering the southern suburbs of Adelaide (Christies Downs, Hackham etc). Note these are not prestige suburbs but they are in your price range. For high 100k you can get a 3 x 1 on 650 sqm less than 30 km from the CBD and it's also near the beach. Adelaide market is hot right now.

PS I've got one in the southern suburbs and two in the northern suburbs. I definitely prefer south.

All the best. ;)

Thanks for the info!!

Christie Downs is appealing to me. Victor Harbour...is that in the south?

I know this is a bit off topic, but I'd like to say three cheers for Boost!!

Here's a Gen X/Y (I assume, if still living at home) who's NOT whining about affordability but getting out there and getting started. He/she will no doubt end up in the kind of house that the rest of Gen X/Y will still be griping that they can't afford in 20 years time.

Good on ya Boost!

Wow, thanks a heap for such kind and encouraging words!

Very appreciated. :)

Tail end of Gen X!

Back