Sydney Hostages - What's An Interview Worth?

One of the more savvy Sydney hostages, a Westpac employee, has hired a lawyer. Not to sue the cafe or the Police or even the (worthless?) estate of the madman who was responsible for the crime. Nor for representation at the inquest which will soon be held. It appears she wants money from the media and has made clear she will not be insulted with anything below six figures. T'would be nice if she shared it with the other victims.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...t-we-know-so-far/story-fnj3rq0y-1227185464542

One of the more savvy Sydney hostages, a Westpac employee, has hired a lawyer. Not to sue the cafe or the Police or even the (worthless?) estate of the madman who was responsible for the crime. She wants money from the media and has made clear she will not be insulted with anything below six figures. T'would be nice if she shared it with the other victims.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...t-we-know-so-far/story-fnj3rq0y-1227185464542

I'm trusting, as you say, that some of the funds will go to the victim's families or counselling etc for the survivors.
Instead I expect it is "little Miss got in first".
Personally I don't want to hear about it. Nothing good came from the entire incident. The less press given to this sort of crime the better I feel.

Before i clicked on the link, i was wondering... who could it be.
First thought was her. She fits the persona.

And it was.
Disappointing, but not unexpected.

I know that some of the hostages aren't interested in talking to the media at all. Realistically it's almost old news at this point, I doubt they'd get paid much anyway.

Not a popular move but what are her options?

Which ever media organisation who does the interview will profit from the story so why not ask to be paid for it. I would rather the money in her pocket than Rupert (or whoever owns TV stations now).

The hostage concerned has a high social media profile. As an executive at Westpac - I expect she is well-paid - does she rally need the money? I'd love for her to be on 60 minutes and get paid and share the money around with some of the other hostages who are less financially savvy than her.

I would have thought that the PR people would have contacted each and every one of the siege victims and asked whether they wanted representation.

typical attention seeking person,

would sell any thing for their 15 minutes of fame

yeah right the funds are going to go to foundation,

unless its the 15 minutes of fame foundation

Last edited by a moderator:
I say why not sell the story. The other survivors can domso as well. I would have thought she could get high six figures.

What's an interview worth? The maximum you can possibly get.

When/if it airs I'll be watching, along with 1-2 million other Australians.

The hostages are victims of crime. A highly publicised international event. If they want to profit from it and put their feet up for a year or two, good luck to them.

I wouldn't change places.

What's an interview worth? The maximum you can possibly get.

When/if it airs I'll be watching, along with 1-2 million other Australians.

The hostages are victims of crime. A highly publicised international event. If they want to profit from it and put their feet up for a year or two, good luck to them.

I wouldn't change places.

True. From the article she was one of the few still in there when the police raided the place. So she is way more valuable to interview than those who escaped.

I'll be watching anyway.

See ya's

Why wouldn't she make the most of an opportunity put her way?

I'd milk it for as much as I could.

If you had a windfall on a property you owned out of the blue would you give the money to charity?

Some of us might need a ladder to get down off these high horses we ride ....

Terrorism wins if she does the interview, as it is just fearmongering and pressing the point that all of us are at risk every minute of every day from Islamic extremists (or so they want us to believe, to keep the feud of westerners vs muslims going so they sell more papers/advertisement space).

How much it's worth is what they are willing to pay her and what she is able to negotiate.

should she share? - totally up to her!

Back