Sydney is turning into a ghetto as poor are trapped by fewer jobs and rising housing

Seems like the Sunshine Coast and GC will have better job prospects than Brisbane.. Last boom people moved out of Sydney into Brisbane but Brisbane's economy wasn't this far behind Sydney and Melbourne was it?
I know many people moving to Melbourne and buying cheap homes.. One mate recently got a H&L package 25 mins from Melbourne CBD for 320k... You can't even buy a decent unit in the outskirts of Sydney for that price..

If there's interstate migration its going to Melbourne not Brisbane

Seems like the Sunshine Coast and GC will have better job prospects than Brisbane..

SC and GC outpacing brisbane for jobs growth?? No way...both are less diversified and offer less jobs, gdp, etc. That's like saying Newcastle will outpace sydney...

Seems like the Sunshine Coast and GC will have better job prospects than Brisbane.. Last boom people moved out of Sydney into Brisbane but Brisbane's economy wasn't this far behind Sydney and Melbourne was it?
I know many people moving to Melbourne and buying cheap homes.. One mate recently got a H&L package 25 mins from Melbourne CBD for 320k... You can't even buy a decent unit in the outskirts of Sydney for that price..

If there's interstate migration its going to Melbourne not Brisbane

I think you will find heaps of people make the trip from GC to Brisbane everyday for work. Jobs have always been the problem with GC.

I think you will find heaps of people make the trip from GC to Brisbane everyday for work. Jobs have always been the problem with GC.

I've heard the GC to Brisbane trains are referred to by locals as the Mumbai Express or something due to the sheer volume of workers commuting each morning. But not in the opposite direction...

SC and GC outpacing brisbane for jobs growth?? No way...both are less diversified and offer less jobs, gdp, etc. That's like saying Newcastle will outpace sydney...

Sorry I mean it in a new jobs vs population way...
Brisbane has more jobs but more competition as well I think.. Just seems that SC and GC are small populations but creating thousands of jobs which would be a higher percentage of new jobs to population than Brisbane has.. Brissy seems quite slow atm..

I could be completely wrong though.. I just hear of all the new jobs and new companies in SC and GC whereas don't hear much about Brisbanes job prospects

Last edited:
Brisbane has more jobs but more competition as well I think.. Just seems that SC and GC are small populations but creating thousands of jobs which would be a higher percentage of new jobs to population than Brisbane has.. Brissy seems quite slow atm..

I could be completely wrong though.. I just hear of all the new jobs and new companies in SC and GC whereas don't hear much about Brisbanes job prospects

And it could very well be true, given the AUD has being hit hard. Tourism and education is up, which means good things for GC. Short term you will probably see this benefit, yes. Long term I believe Brisbane will always have an advantage. Brisbane is simply more immune to currency fluctuations. When the AUD was high, the GC was basically guttered. I believe that's part of the reason why GC crime rates went up so much after the GFC.

Last edited:

If you are talking bout the rate of growth of new jobs:competition, it may be true. This rate was probably higher in brisbane vs sydney a few years back. However, as others have said, it's a metric that fluctuates much more on gc and SC than compared to larger cities. Averaged out over a longer term, the larger capitals will show better numbers usually, and that's how long term wealth is accumulated in Cg in real estate. Eg sydney and Melbourne.

Back