Sydney lawyer fees

Just a quick one. I am in the process of buying a property in Syd and found that 'normal' lawyer fees here are about $1500. For the same transactions when buying in Melb it cost me $500. The title searches are also higher $250 as compared with $90.

OK the growth is good and the prices are higher but does anyone know why the same service is so much higher? Or do I just have the wrong lawyer?

Buzzzzzzzz
"To Infinity and Beyond" Buzz Lightyear

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Buzz,

I asked a Melb Solicitor the same question and he stated that the main reason was that Office rentals particularly Solicitors in CBD were much higher than in Melb , therefore they charge higher fees to cover higher overheads.

regards

Russell

Reply: 1.1

Maybe because they can?

Also few lawyers practise conveyancing across borders. Each state has developed their own way of doing it with their own charges.

A conveyancer will do the job for the sort of money you are used to.

Also you can negotiate over their fees.

PaulZag
Dreamspinner
WealthEsteem :: Psychology of the Deal
http://www.wealthesteem.org/

Reply: 1.1.1

This guy has advertised in the Wentworth Courier (Sydney Eastern Suburbs) for some time now. He is always the cheapest. I do not know how good he is.

Ad reads:

All legal services Conveyancing by solicitor. Purchases $550 + disbursements
Sales $550 inclusive. David Leamey 24 hrs 0407 111 111
9281 1160

I'd like some feedback on how good he is as I often have clients who need conveyances done.

A Jones

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Thanks for your thoughts, I am committed now to my $ friend, but will consider A Jones idea next time. Thanks for the lead.

"To Infinity and Beyond" Buzz Lightyear

Reply: 2

Use your Melbourne Lawyer !

You will also make a minor contribution to Australia post.

If He can't do it, call a small town firm in NSW.

SW

Back