Sydney: No more Northwest rail link (on again/off again)?

So agree with Witzl ...all these promises that have come to nought ...transport issues in the NW are a bloody joke !

Edison ... like you, I reckon a Liberal government at the State level might be our only ray of hope in this otherwise dim situation.

So agree with Witzl ...all these promises that have come to nought ...transport issues in the NW are a bloody joke !

Edison ... like you, I reckon a Liberal government at the State level might be our only ray of hope in this otherwise dim situation.

Cherry Pro,

At least both of us live in Cherrybrook ..... We can still drive to Pennant Hills/Thornleigh Station in 5 minutes ..... Better than most other Northwest suburbs where it is miles away from the train station.

Funny thing though, even if the NW line is built, it will still take me 5 minutes to drive to the proposed station. So it makes no difference for me, apart from potential capital appreciation of the house I live in.

The biggest mistake i know they will make with the NW rail line is building train stations with little or no parking available. Labor is bound to make that mistake, as they will assume everyone will catch a bus to the station.

Seriously - where the hell are you supposed to park at any of the train stations up the north shore line? My girlfriend drives all the way up to Waitara cos its the only station she can park at (she works in artarmon)

The biggest mistake i know they will make with the NW rail line is building train stations with little or no parking available. Labor is bound to make that mistake, as they will assume everyone will catch a bus to the station.

Seriously - where the hell are you supposed to park at any of the train stations up the north shore line? My girlfriend drives all the way up to Waitara cos its the only station she can park at (she works in artarmon)

Well a train line without car park is still better than no train line at all .....

Anyway they do plan to put car park in there ...... Have a look at the Preferred Project Report ...

http://www.tidc.nsw.gov.au/ArticlePage.aspx?PageID=1146

SMH: Northwest Rail Link may be scrapped

Here we go, new Premier and the line may be scrapped again ...... Of course with AAA rating at risk this line may not be built for the next 50 years ....

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/rees-eyes-metro-project/2008/09/09/1220857500759.html

September 9, 2008 - 9:57AM
Tax hikes are a possibility and the North West Metro rail project may be scrapped or altered under the revamped NSW Government.

Following yesterday's announcement of a fresh Labor cabinet, ministers were reluctant to comment on the direction of their new portfolios, but today Premier Nathan Rees ruled nothing out.

"No, I haven't ruled that out," Mr Rees told Fairfax Radio Network when asked if tax rates would remain untouched in his battle to boost the state's economy.

"All options will be on the table. I want maximum flexibility in dealing with this challenge."

And while the Premier has committed to completing Sydney's desalination plant, he has offered no such pledge for the planned $12 billion North West Metro rail project, scheduled for completion by 2017.

"It's too early for me to commit one way or the other to that project," Mr Rees said of the North West Metro.

"I am pulling back from it."

He said the state now faced a different economic outlook to that when the metro project was announced.

However, Mr Rees said public-private partnerships had not been fully explored as part of the metro project.

"I'm not going to speculate on the detail of any future public-private arrangement but what I will say is this ... my understanding is ... there hasn't been discussions with the private sector about who might have airspace over the railway stations there and those sorts of options," Mr Rees said.

"They're things I'm more than happy to explore. I think there is a role for the private sector provided it's done sensibly and provided that the taxpayer doesn't wear the risk."

Mr Rees, promoted to the top job on Friday after just 18 months in Parliament, has committed to providing a robust solution to the decline of the state's economy, after the disclosure last week that the Government was losing revenue at a rate of $90 million a month.

AAP

I was cooking bacon and eggs at the kids school on Friday morning - Fathers Day breakfast. The guy next to me works on the project. I think he's an engineer. I said to him: 'You reckon they're really going to do it?' He said there was no doubt. By lunchtime, I suspect he had some doubts. I wonder what he's doing today? Must be hard to keep going on a project when you know it's probably not going to get off the ground.

SMH: Plea to keep Metro project

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/plea-to-rees-save-metro-project/2008/09/09/1220857500759.html

September 9, 2008 - 1:21PM

Business is urging the NSW government not to abandon Sydney's North West Metro rail project, after Premier Nathan Rees said he was backing away from it.

"It's too early for me to commit one way or the other to that project,'' Mr Rees told Fairfax Radio Network today. "I am pulling back from it.''

But the Sydney Chamber of Commerce has urged the government to push ahead with the project.

"No-one has ever claimed that a sustainable transport network is cheap, but we must invest to reap the rewards,'' chamber executive director Patricia Forsythe said in a statement.

"I would urge the NSW government not to get spooked and push ahead with this important strategic project.''

North-western Sydney would be accommodating much of Sydney's growth, but there were large areas with no rail network and few other public transport options, she said.

Following Mr Rees' admission that private sector participation in the North West Metro had not been fully explored, Ms Forsythe urged him to investigate all possibilities.

"There are all sorts of opportunities for commercial engagement in the project, which could potentially limit the impact on the taxpayer,'' she said.

Last week, sacked treasurer Michael Costa said the $12 billion North West Metro project should be delayed to prevent a budget blowout which would cost NSW its AAA credit rating.

Mr Rees told Fairfax Radio Network when asked if tax rates would remain untouched in his battle to boost the state's economy: "All options will be on the table. I want maximum flexibility in dealing with this challenge."

He has committed to completing Sydney's desalination plant, but not the $12 billion North West Metro rail project.

He said the state now faced a different economic outlook to that when the metro project was announced.

However, Mr Rees said public-private partnerships had not been fully explored as part of the metro project.

"I'm not going to speculate on the detail of any future public-private arrangement but what I will say is this ... my understanding is ... there hasn't been discussions with the private sector about who might have airspace over the railway stations there and those sorts of options," Mr Rees said.

"They're things I'm more than happy to explore. I think there is a role for the private sector provided it's done sensibly and provided that the taxpayer doesn't wear the risk."

Mr Rees, promoted to the top job on Friday after just 18 months in Parliament, has committed to providing a robust solution to the decline of the state's economy, after the disclosure last week that the Government was losing revenue at a rate of $90 million a month.

AAP

I think they need to revert back to the fully planned, designed and costed heavy rail link. Much better solution for the North West and will allow people in this area easier travel all over Sydney using the existing network plus you are not starting everything from scratch again and having a seperate rail system. NSW cant run what they have let alone two systems.

However I know that the addition of this NW heavy rail line creates other issues for the current Cityrail network and will require changes to other lines and new Infrastructure that the state cant seem to afford. This is part of what is why they want to go to a Metro.

They really need to complete the Epping to Parramatta heavy rail link that Costa killed off and this will cure a lot of these issues and allow the heavy rail version of the NW line to work properly. The NW Corridor is not the right place for a Metro IMO.

I think if NSW are serious they really need to invest properly in Public Transport and actually look at the rail system as a whole and make it work for all of Sydney.

What NSW needs is a great reformer like Jeff Kennett did for Victoria.

I am so glad I don't invest in NSW anymore.

yeah... as per usual, northwest sydney just got bend over and royally farked up the ar$e.

Im totally disollusioned with our state govt now, i was only partially disollutioned before.
When will voters realise that labor is just a total waste of space, time, and more importantly - taxpayers money.

When will voters realise that labor is just a total waste of space, time, and more importantly - taxpayers money.

I get put in jail if I stole $20,000 from my neighbour, yet that is what the state government steals from me when I buy a median priced home in NSW. Would love to lock the lot of em up and throw away the key... :)

I get put in jail if I stole $20,000 from my neighbour, yet that is what the state government steals from me when I buy a median priced home in NSW. Would love to lock the lot of em up and throw away the key... :)
Yep, and then they take another $10K off me every single year in land tax because they don't like the fact that I hold my IP in a trust structure despite it being my only IP.

Gotta love em don't ya! :mad:

Cheers,
Michael

No real shock that this was canned. 12.5 Billion Hills Metro was not going to happen. It was a waste of money to even contemplate it. They should have just stuck with the original Heavy Rail links that were properly planned and costed. Metro may be part of the Cities future but not yet. They need to sort out the huge rail system that already covers most of Sydney first. Also Metro should only be used in high density areas! Not from Rouse Hill!

I would think that they could complete the Epping to Parramatta HR link and build the previous Hills HR link for less than the 4 Billion Metro to no where the Feds are supposed to pay for. Mind you I think the 4 Billion figure will blow out badly for that project. They then just need to relieve the congestion on the inner city link and you will have a lot more capacity and you will improve transport across the whole of Sydney not just a few marginal seats Labor wants to win.

Last edited:
Even current estimates for the HR link to Norwest Business park are only $2billion.... a far cry from the stupidly pricey $12billion metro!!

Of course, it wont happen with the current govt - because we all vote liberal in the north west.

** many many expletives deleted**

I also see that Barry O'Farell has committed to building a rail link to the Hills if he is elected. Its not clear if this a Metro of a Heavy Rail link from the quote in the paper. I hope it is Heavy Rail but that will rely on work to the rest of the network. If it is a Metro I think that is crazy!

yeah a metro is just silly IMO. Sydney is geographically too large.

A metro system for the inner suburbs would be smart (looks at the Hong Kong system), and would free up a LOT of congestion from the current heavy rail system. Especially if they linked the two systems together at selected "interchange" stations, like many other cities in the world do.

Sure heavy rail might be obtrusive and may affect adjacent property values, but that effect would cost far less than $12billion!!!

We are much better off without the NW Rail links. I take the T-Way bus everyday and find it very convenient to travel to city either (a) directly or (b) to parramatta and then hop on a train. It still gets me in within an hour - so I cant complain. If we had more buses running on the transitway, in both peak and off-peak times, it should work exceptionally well.

With the trains running in the Hills district, I guess Castle Hill will become another Blacktown, :eek: :eek: People will leave, and prices will drop in my humble opinion. Look at Bankstown or Auburn, have prices gone up just because there is a train line??

Back