Sydney the magnificent, revel in her glory...

You'll find that many of our smalll towns are very relaxing
and the bush is very peaceful as well

Oh yes, i'm sure they are..Although if we're talking about the city, where's the small town..?!

Great thing about Melbourne is that you don't have to travel far to find peaceful areas, small towns, or the beautiful mountains.

Went out for lunch last Saturday right in the heart of the city, and it was still very relaxing, also Melbourne isn't full of concrete unlike Sydney. It has nice parks and scenery, great shopping, less hustle and bustle, it's gorgeous!

All this and i'll be living not too far from any of it :)

Carry on guys :) I invest in both the cities so doesn't matter who's better...

Although i do find holding property in NSW bit more expensive then VIC, due to land tax, water charges etc etc...

I agree Sydney is better in terms of weather and natural beauty but in terms of overall livability(traffic, cost of living etc) Melbourne is better.

As a self confessed city slicker who has lived in Brisbane and Sydney I have to say I really do not miss city life at all since moving to the bush (or desert in my case).

I couldn't handle the traffic, crowds and general self obsession of city people any more I don't think, not to mention the expense. Give me the wide open spaces, deserted roads and fresh air any day.

Which city is better is not going to be relevant when in about 30-50 years time both will be unlivable due to:

1) Rising sea levels, forcing many seaside homeowners to bail without receiving any govt compensation.
2) Horrid drought conditions (NSW is already 80% in drought) causing the most severe water restrictions.
3) Non-existent public transport (because State govts should have been abolished decades ago, and a Japanese styled train system should have been adopted).

All this will be compounded by the now record immigration levels which Rudd is keeping going. Both cities will also likely have Chinese names.

Will investors be smiling then?

There's nothing quite like the feeling of flying in over Sydney after being away for a while. Or driving home from the airport over the harbour bridge.
I feel blest that my parents decided to emigrate from the UK to this wonderful place 32 years ago and I was given the opportunity to call it my home.
As a happy Sydney-sider, I really don't feel a rivalry against Melbourne, in fact I barely give it a second thought.:D

Reactions: BV
Which city is better is not going to be relevant when in about 30-50 years time both will be unlivable due to:
1) Rising sea levels, forcing many seaside homeowners to bail without receiving any govt compensation.
2) Horrid drought conditions (NSW is already 80% in drought) causing the most severe water restrictions.

Mate,
Water levels won't rise, it's a myth.
Climate is cyclical, we've had record dry periods and record high temperatures in the past and we're going to have record freezing temperatures as well.

It's nothing new.
Increases in earth temperature due to human activity are only local and temporary because the heat escapes out in space.

Sure, we can do more in becoming energy efficient and limiting polution but radiated heat due to human activity is tiny compared to the energy emitted towards earth by the sun, so if the earth temperature does increase it won't be because we have 2 cars parked in our driveway, or because we left a light on it will be due to increased Solar activity and/or increased absorbsion of the solar rays.

Solar ray absorbsion and water evaporation would have been lower if we had more vegetation and we also wouldn't have as heavy rainfalls and floods so we should stop cutting down our forrests and should be planting more trees.
These are things we can all do and don't cost the earth.

Last edited:
There's nothing quite like the feeling of flying in over Sydney after being away for a while. Or driving home from the airport over the harbour bridge.
Ah, so you're a Northsider too huh! :D I do miss the lower north shore and the northern beaches the most. But as a sailor I was spoilt by being able to sail all over Sydney harbour every weekend competing in the inshore pointscore series. Just spectacular.

As a happy Sydney-sider, I really don't feel a rivalry against Melbourne, in fact I barely give it a second thought.:D
Exactly how I feel too. I think Melbourne is a great city, just like Brisbane is. They're just not Sydney, that's all... I find it amusing how denizens of other cities always feel this huge animosity towards Sydney. I think I might coin it "little city" syndrome... ;)

I absolutely love living in Brisbane right now, but I desperately miss a lot of the fantastic attributes of Sydney. A 500m stroll to one of Australia's best surf beaches from my 1600m2 sub-tropical rainforest block at Narrabeen for starters. I've mentioned the sailing out of MHYC in Sydney harbour already. And then, of course, there's the theatre and the restaurants and the "buzz" that is the city itself. I love Darling Habour and Pitt St mall. I love the pace of the place, the excitement and the energy that oozes out of the CBD. The botanical gardens and the fountain in Hyde park. I love the drive up Bells Line of Road through the Blue Mountains for a winter lunch at the Hyrdo Majestic or some nice restaurant in Leura. An early morning dip in the ocean pools at DeeWhy or Collaroy. Lunch at the Flying Fox cafe at Bayview overlooking the yachts in Pit****er while the kiddies play in the huge park or playground.

Just magnificent and so much to offer to those with an outside orientation or a passion for fine food and drink.

Simply an unparalleled city of an international standard. She is magnificent and she holds my heart.

Cheers,
Michael

Sydney is the city for people who love the harbourside aspect of Hobart but don't find the traffic sufficiently life-destroying.
I like that! :D

But, having sailed to Hobart from Sydney, I can safely say there's a big difference between both harbours... It was so cold and dry in Hobart that my skin started cracking and my son's hair last all its curls.

Hobart was great fun though when we were there after last year's Sydney-Hobart race. Huge festival atmosphere and a great time to experience the culture of that beautiful city.

Still, it isn't Sydney is it... ;)

Cheers,
Michael

I didn't realise Sydneys rainfall was going to drop?
How do you know?
How come it hasn't changed in 150 years so far..??

066062_18_13_51502-1.png

See ya's.

3) Non-existent public transport (because State govts should have been abolished decades ago, and a Japanese styled train system should have been adopted).

Can't wait to buy Hurstville & Bexley beach front properties!!
Maybe we should get in now while the water is still low :rolleyes:

Michael,

it's great that you love Sydney, but I think you have your emotions interwined with your investing a little bit - all your posts that I can remember for the last couple of years have been saying Sydney is going to boom... of course, eventually it's going to be true and you will be right! But, I think you've missed some great growth in Melbourne over the last couple of years.

I'm new to the game, but I'm a firm believer in timing the market. I was fortunate to sign a contract to build a property in Melbourne 18 months ago and I've had just under 20% growth during this time... I am now ready to duplicate whereas I wouldn't be if I had of bought in Sydney, Perth or Brisbane.

There's no doubt Sydney is a great city, I love it too! But, you should love what's going to make you the most money - I am very fickle like that! :D

Back