Sydney Water ?

Why is it in Sydney, they can't separate the bill for rates and usage for an investment property????

The bill is in our name and we pay rates, however the water authority cannot separate rates and usage

If the tenant delays payment, this incurs interest that we pay and may impact our credit rating (it would in WA , the water authority would see to it).

Bill goes to the property owner. End of story :)
It is not easy to switch off the water supply like phone or power... so they may not want to deal with many connections and disconnections.

Hi Wasp,So you want them to act as your PM?
Look at your bill and do the maths.
Also,incorporate the costs,into the next lease/rent.
Cheers Spades.

Ps.devank,water supply can be cut easy BUT it is an essential service,so you get fair warning.Re:Connections,disconnections they'll deal with it,trust me,service and $ comes first.

Last edited:
I'am sure I heard that in NSW somewhere water was connected in the tenants name. I must have been mistaken. Is there anywhere in Australia this happens?

Generally the landlord pays for the water bill so there is no chance of late fees. Then the tenants are invoiced for reimbursement.

In QLD the tenants are allowed 30 days to pay an invoice, a bit unfair really seeing as the landlord has already paid. The tenants always drag it out to its due date.

We have tenants pay usage in WA

Owner pays rates (or can contribute % of usage)

PM manages this for us

I would like the account for water use changed into my tenant's name. What do I need to do?

You can do this by emailing the details to us, or by calling us

I have an investment property - currently I receive the annual service charge bill and the tenant receives the water use bill. Will this change when two-monthly billing comes in?

Where permitted by the landlord, we currently send water use bills directly to the tenant. This option will still be available.

www watercorporation com au/

It's interesting to see the differences across the States

We got Sydney Water to deal with the Property Manager and all was sorted in the end

It's the same in the ACT, It's very easy to manage, if I pay the landlord's bill, I pay it in full and invoice the tenants for the usage.

If a landlord prefers to pay the bill directly, it's important to forward the copy to the PM so the tenant can be invoiced for the usage.

PM follows up/should follow up outstanding water consumption payment the same way as outstanding rent.

It's the same in the ACT, It's very easy to manage, if I pay the landlord's bill, I pay it in full and invoice the tenants for the usage.

If a landlord prefers to pay the bill directly, it's important to forward the copy to the PM so the tenant can be invoiced for the usage.

PM follows up/should follow up outstanding water consumption payment the same way as outstanding rent.

We do the same in NSW.

It's interesting to see the differences across the States

We got Sydney Water to deal with the Property Manager and all was sorted in the end

No, you get the PM to deal with SW, you're paying the PM to act in your shoes and it is as simple as going on line and changing the details (providing you have the authority, the bill & the contact details).

No, you get the PM to deal with SW, you're paying the PM to act in your shoes and it is as simple as going on line and changing the details (providing you have the authority, the bill & the contact details).

Hello, just joined the forum. Scott is right, our property manager looks after all the bills including electrical and water.

They will only claim the usage from the tenants and not the full bill.

They also require that all shower head, taps , etc are water saving.

? Don't understand. Is water for a house not charged at a fixed rate?
My IP is an apartment, water charges are fixed.
My understanding is the owner pays for water, and it's included in the tenant's rent. Tenant pays a fixed rent, regardless of usage of water.
So the owner just has to pay the water each quarter.
Is the OP upset because the tenant's water usage is too high, and it's costing the owner too much?

In NSW it is fine to charge the tenant for water usage as long as the property has a separate water meter and water efficiency devices are installed. Owner normally pays the whole bill and I charge the tenant to reimburse the owner for the usage. Also tenant must be given 3 weeks to pay and you can not invoice tenant if bill is over 3 mths old.

? Don't understand. Is water for a house not charged at a fixed rate?
My IP is an apartment, water charges are fixed.

Water charges for houses (or separately metered units or t/h) are charged as a base fee, sewer charge, stormwater charge and usage/kL. It is this usage component which can be charged to the tenant (if the lease provides)

Sydney water is government owned so just like other government services like council they are always in the property owners name.

Be careful when having a managing agent manages your property they often forget about the water and tenants are often restricted for unpaid accounts

Sydney Water

Is it true that a 'Sydney Water' landlord should have an annual check that the water flows at 9 Litres per minute?
Even if they have the correct fittings>
Is this written in stone?
thanks

Seaford Sunshine

I have started the process of getting an individual water meter on one of my apartments in Melb.
Will cost about $500 for parts/installation and once the next lease is up, I believe I can forward water usage charges to the tenant (as part of new lease)
It will take about a year to pay itself back but I still pay for service charges. Money well spent I think.

I have started the process of getting an individual water meter on one of my apartments in Melb.
Will cost about $500 for parts/installation and once the next lease is up, I believe I can forward water usage charges to the tenant (as part of new lease)
It will take about a year to pay itself back but I still pay for service charges. Money well spent I think.

Thanks Scott for the clarification.

Neptune - is this allowed? I've never heard of it being done in Sydney.
I'd love to do it too (wouldn't we all). Problem is, if I do it, and I am the only landlord who does, then I will lose out on tenants.

Back