take the job ... not take the job ... take the ...

another con:

I bet like me and a bunch of others on here that you are "un-employable" :p

I soooo relate to this. Because Canberra doesn't really have much choice, I'm currently looking for a public service job. However, when I read their w*nky job descriptions I want to throw up and cant bring myself to apply. Last year my consulting business made enough for me to have a few months off but now I want to get back into buying more property and dont want to go low doc so its "a real job" I need to get.
I'm so deeply cynical after being part of the "stimulus package" roll out last year that the whole public service employment thing is a definite turn off. I'd happily go back to working for a Council but there are only two within driving distance of me and neither have any suitable work.

I feel just like Lizzie, in that there are so many "cons" to returning to work but its also very tempting for other reasons. hehe, I suppose I'll just have to "suck it up":)

I would suggest Lizzie already knows the answer.
Sometimes by asking other people's opinions, someone may suggest something you hadn't really thought too much about.

i guess it comes down to ... "i don't really want to go 'out' to work" but i can also see so many positive reasons in terms of networking and perceived servicibility - but - for the physical sake of an extra $16,000 in the pocket a year, i can't really be bothered. i can make 10 times that doing a reno or development ... but the bank won't lend me more to do a reno or development without increased perceived servicibility ... but if i go to work, the bank will lend me more, but i won't have the time ... classic catch 22.

anyhow - i have applied. the silent part owner is my neighbour who i get on well with. the job is not commission based - flat rate. so, i will go in with the intention of getting the job - but if i get beaten to the mark then it wasn't meant to be.

i guess it comes down to ... "i don't really want to go 'out' to work" but i can also see so many positive reasons in terms of networking and perceived servicibility - but - for the physical sake of an extra $16,000 in the pocket a year, i can't really be bothered. i can make 10 times that doing a reno or development ... but the bank won't lend me more to do a reno or development without increased perceived servicibility ... but if i go to work, the bank will lend me more, but i won't have the time ... classic catch 22.

anyhow - i have applied. the silent part owner is my neighbour who i get on well with. the job is not commission based - flat rate. so, i will go in with the intention of getting the job - but if i get beaten to the mark then it wasn't meant to be.

That's a bit different.
Maybe just work long enough to qualify for the bank loan and then quit.Presto...lots of time.:)

but that just confuses it even more ... we are not looking at buying atm - and by the end of september our servicibility will be to the point we will be borrowing for our townhouse build anyhow ... so wouldn't be bringing anything forward by taking the job.

guess it comes back to the orginal reasons - networking and inside view

but that just confuses it even more ... we are not looking at buying atm - and by the end of september our servicibility will be to the point we will be borrowing for our townhouse build anyhow ... so wouldn't be bringing anything forward by taking the job.

guess it comes back to the orginal reasons - networking and inside view

Lizzie, check my auto-signature ;)

Back