take the job ... not take the job ... take the ...

although i wasn't looking for a J.O.B at all, there is a good chance i can get a job going in a local, highly professional and respected real estate office that deals in a lot of developments and commercial projects, as well as residential.

the job is 4 days a week, 5 hours a day, during school hours - perfect, if i was looking ...

there are pros and cons, and i can't decide.

pros are:

increased servicibility in the eyes of the bank
only 5 mins from home
school hours
inside networking and advance warning of properties for sale
involvement in "big boy" developments etc
more "people" contact and expanding social network
hubby has agreed i can have my cleaner back (that's a biggie - haha)

cons:

loss of time for school involvement
loss of time for building my own business (will have to put off for another year or so)
loss of time for my own developments/renovating (so will have to pay but will be covered by extra income)
loss of time for my current social network

hubby is all for me taking the job but over the last 10 years i have gotten used to "not being accountable" to any employer. financially we don't need the money - but increased "servicibility" would be useful and the networking would be great.

i am sure there are more pros and cons, but after a day yachting i'm rather weary.

although i wasn't looking for a J.O.B at all, there is a good chance i can get a job going in a local, highly professional and respected real estate office that deals in a lot of developments and commercial projects, as well as residential.

the job is 4 days a week, 5 hours a day, during school hours - perfect, if i was looking ...

there are pros and cons, and i can't decide.

lizzie, it sounds like it is the kind of job that you could make "work" for you.
Although you will have restrictions on your time and the activities that you are now committed to or are enjoying, no doubt you could wrangle your agenda to fit some of them in still. The challenge may be maintaining your working hours to the 4 days x 5 hours, because I am aware that it can become quite addictive and that people (clients) will have unrealistic expectations of you being available for them, in their timeframe, when they call.
Frizzle

You can work around the cons, and the pros sound good, but could you enjoy going to work if you don't really want or need to work?

Me personally?... I'd take it!

I'm just praying that once both my kids are at primary school there will be a job within school hours for lil' ol' me.

4 days a week, 5 hours.... heaps of time to do all the other stuff!

Yeah, I'd jump at it... if it dosen't work out, well it dosen't. At least you'd know.

If you haven't been accountable to anyone for 10 years, it's tough to submit to someone again.

I've tried that just recently, and it didn't work.

Autonomy vs a small injection of cashflow....personal choice as always, but I've now realised I cannot go back to taking orders and submitting my authority.

Is your direct report a top sort or a complete tool ??

My line of thought would be to take it with the view of a 6-12 month education experience. I'd be looking at down the track working the role to become a job share role - better coverage for holidays, sickness etc if the 4 days don't suit your long term wants/needs....but as already pointed out that will depend if the boss is cool or a tool.

Cheers
Buddybee

HHmm...sounds liek good experience, but losing the family time...I don't know, it's a toughy.

Personally, I'd be concentrating on your own business. It's Rich Dad, Poor Dad philosophy, as long as you're not there for huge hours, because if that was the case, you may well take the job. :D

inside networking and advance warning of properties for sale involvement in "big boy" developments etc
another con:
As an employee of a REA you cannot buy one of the rea's listings without:
1. Valuation - so that you are seen to be buying at market
2. Forms signed off by the vendor acknowledging that you are working for the rea. (as a vendor this would be ringing alarm bells in my head)

lizzie,

This reminds me of a conversation we had more than 12 months ago when you were wondering to sell / hold / develop. The universe still throwing options at you? and because you have no clear plan you are tempted? :confused:

You want you own business.
You want your own family time. etc
I bet like me and a bunch of others on here that you are "un-employable" :p

I voted for you to NOT take the job.
Hours that may start out perfect, have a way of not becoming perfect.

Where I work, we can have mandatory overtime. If we don't comply, there are "points" issued against us. After 10 points we are terminated.

You would be giving up a lot of freedom, for the sake of extra valuation for a bank. You seem to be doing quite well without it. If you took the job, then quit, would the bank look worse at your situation?

As Dazz said, it is hard to work for someone else after being your own boss for so long.

My vote:

Take the job but only for 12 months.

In that time as far as your developments go:

Go into a holding pattern AND

1.Listen to everything
2.Learn lots
3.Network like hell and make some valuable contacts
4.Use the extra serviceability and buy the next project and quit when you have all the knowledge you want and are ready to go on the new project.

Treat it as a property course, your only there to learn.

Will increased serviceability take you closer to your goals? If you dont need the money and you have already achieved your goals then I would not take the job. Live the dream - how much is enuf? Enjoy your free time.

Curious as to what the position and pay rate is.

A friend who has worked as a REA, PM and now as a general office hand says the pay is pretty poor unless you are a very experienced and established REA.

Hour for hour I can't see a general office hand or PM wage come anywhere near covering the cost of a tradesman.

Infact after tax you mightn't even cover the cleaners wage :eek:.

Just something to consider.

If I were you the only reason I'd take the job would be for servicability, because I'd rather work a job than reno, even if I was out of pocket, for the structure (I get very lazy and disorganised without it) and for the work experience and record, just in case I do need to work sometime in the future.

the pay rate was casual - so not a lot. it wouldn't cover tradies time for time, but there isn't a heck of a lot left for me to do on the house anyhow ... so i was thinking of moving onto my own business setup in the next few months. it also wouldn't cover a clean hour or hour, but i would NOT spending my one day off a week cleaning the house!

as i said - it is more for the insider networking than anything financial.

we shall see ... gotta get the job first.

Are you on a straight wage, or a base plus commission?
When my business went sour, I looked at doing real estate, but the commission structure was completely unachievable, particularly working part time... and each time I went in for training, the principal seemed to be adjusting it, and making it less workable....... I worked out I'd be earning about $5/hr.
So, just be careful that you are not getting ripped off.

I think its really helpful to learn to be accountable again....... working with other people provides the opportunity to refine skills, deal with "Blindspots" and develop additional skills. You will just need to learn to bite your tongue a little in the beginning!

Pen

Hi Lizzie

I'd take the job ...I think the pros outweigh the cons and then as they say,
the only things we regret in life are the things we didn't do !

Test the waters and if it doesn't meet your expectations, go back to doing what you're currently doing. I agree, the networking opportunites will be fantastic.

Good luck !

Lizzie,

Why do you need to ask outsiders opinions on something you want to do?

Do you know their background? Their experience? Their preference?

Do they know more than you do? Or less than?

:confused:

Lizzie,

Why do you need to ask outsiders opinions on something you want to do?

Do you know their background? Their experience? Their preference?

Do they know more than you do? Or less than?

:confused:

I would suggest Lizzie already knows the answer.
Sometimes by asking other people's opinions, someone may suggest something you hadn't really thought too much about.

Back