Taking a baby on a plane

Hi there

My wife is taking our 8 month old baby boy on a plane trip soon. They are travelling Virgin Atlantic. I was just doing some reading on the Virgin Atlantic website under the section titled "flying with babies" and came across the following information:

Baby milk

• Cow's milk, formula and water (to make formula up) are all allowed on the aircraft.
  • They must be in baby bottles or cartons, not bottles from the supermarket or flasks etc.
  • They can be over 100ml, but only up to a reasonable amount that's necessary for the flight.
  • You will be asked to taste 50% of what's taken through

The last bullet point had me concerned. Does anyone know what this means?

Here is the site link if further clarification is required:

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/au/en/travel-information/flying-with-children/babies.html

They used to get some people to taste to prove that it's not anything else but 50% sounds silly.

If your 8mth old is on formula then your wife will be packing powder and water separately so it shouldn't be an issue.

If she can find them get the 'stick' of premeasured formula where one stick does 180 or 240ml of water. Then they are sealed in their manufactured sachets and aren't just loose powder in a container.

I would understand that to mean that you will have to take a taste from 50% of what you take, i.e., if you take 4 bottles then they will ask you to taste from 2 of them. I really don't think you will have to drink 50% of the quantity.

Could be wrong though.
Marg

I think Marg's take on it is correct. That is how I read it too... take a taste of half of the bottles you pack.

Yep Marg's is correct - we're off to US with our (what will then be) 9month old - they can ask you to taste from up to 50% of containers (gave them (Virgin)) a about it as had similar concern).

Also if you've asked for a bassinet double check you've got it (especially if you've booked through a travel agent - some don't pass on the booking until last minute meaning you miss out if they're all already gone).

I have never been asked to taste. I travelled by myself with a 4.5mth and nearly hyperventilated and had a panic attack before leaving reading all these instructions. They will call out your bag as Baby bag as it gets put through xray. I had ointments, water, bottles, formula and the works. They will ask you to collapse your pram if you have brought one through to check in at the plane or if you are carrying the baby carrier (baby bjorn type) they will ask you to remove it and put it through xray (without baby of course).

Anything else just holler...

Yep, never had to taste here either. Although I didn't go on a plane until he was off bottles (from memory), but took open food, drinks etc.

Would also recommend taking a change of clothes for yourself if possible.

Junior barfed really good down my shirt on an international flight - fortunately it was regurgitated breast milk so didn't smell, but formula can be vile.

Would also recommend taking a change of clothes for yourself if possible.

Junior barfed really good down my shirt on an international flight - fortunately it was regurgitated breast milk so didn't smell, but formula can be vile.

We also take our toiletries bag in our carry on so we can clean teeth and deodorise when we change our tops just prior to arrival. It's surprising just how much better you feel.

We also take our toiletries bag in our carry on so we can clean teeth and deodorise when we change our tops just prior to arrival. It's surprising just how much better you feel.
Check what size containers you can take (and I'm NOT talking breast milk). My daughter bought tooth paste just prior to departure but had to throw it out as it was above the allowable limit.

Check what size containers you can take (and I'm NOT talking breast milk). My daughter bought tooth paste just prior to departure but had to throw it out as it was above the allowable limit.

We tend to take 'smallest size everything' then get more when we arrive.

I had to taste formula once when i was coming back from heathrow. I had some ready made single serve formula in sealed cartons with straws because i thought it might be handy in the air or during the asian stop over. When i was going through security they asked me to open half of the cartons and take a sip. I was pretty annoyed because i couldnt reseal them so i was glad i had sticks of powder too. They were cartons id bought from a super market not bottles i had made up myself. After that i just took single serve sticks of powder.

Ive flown long haul a lot with a milk guzzling child. Ive always found cabin crew extremely helpful and happy to take a bottle, wash it out and bring it back with cold or warm water or cows milk.

Back