Taking a Break!

After a recent family holiday, predominantly "sans internet" (except for the occasional FB photo upload and twice weekly check of emails!), I realised how refreshed and productive I felt... even when we returned home I seemed to have more time and felt different somehow :D

Taking a good hard look at how much time I actually spend face to face with a screen, whether it be working, chatting or "foruminating" I realise that it's too much- I need to cut back, concentrate on the priorities and get out more!
For this reason, I've decided to take a break from forums and those areas that distract me- even if I do enjoy them, I've decided to attempt to organise my time more efficiently and investigate a few other avenues of current interest :D

So.... for those of you who have asked me questions or replied to posts please don't think I'm ignoring you. I'm just taking a break for a little while. Happy to respond to PM's (or you can always email me directly) in the meantime. Off to try some new stuff :)

Don't tell me that The Renovators are hiring you to do the next series purchases? :p

I suppose we should have seen that coming with The Block mid-way thru.

Happy hunting! When are we going to see you on our TV screens?

Know how you feel - we were sans internet for a week due to moving recently ... and there was so much day to fill.

Did miss it for the internet banking tho, and was waiting for some important emails.

Don't tell me that The Renovators are hiring you to do the next series purchases? :p

I suppose we should have seen that coming with The Block mid-way thru.

Happy hunting! When are we going to see you on our TV screens?

Don't think that will be happening Alan :D - I'm far too shy and retiring for anything public, as you know ;)

My brief time away has been rather productive and I now feel very much on track again- paperwork was getting away from me for a while there... :)

oh noo... I enjoy your insightful posts as well as time to time whinges :p

but... can you really stay away??

Hey Devan :D we're all entitled to whinge occasionally - this forum can be akin to a sounding board at times of stress, and though the community's a "little larger" than when I first joined some 11 yrs ago, there's still empathy from time to time which makes one feel better :);)

And, no, I can't stay away... as you can obviously see :D

Found this this morning. Good point I think.

Now is a good time to pause, prioritize, and focus. Make two lists:

List 1: Your Focus List (the road ahead)
What are you trying to achieve? What makes you happy? What's important to you? Design your time around those things. Because time is your one limited resource and no matter how hard you try you can't work 25/8.
List 2: Your Ignore List (the distractions)
To succeed in using your time wisely, you have to ask the equally important but often avoided complementary questions: what are you willing not to achieve? What doesn't make you happy? What's not important to you? What gets in the way?
Some people already have the first list. Very few have the second. But given how easily we get distracted and how many distractions we have these days, the second is more important than ever. The leaders who will continue to thrive in the future know the answers to these questions and each time there's a demand on their attention they ask whether it will further their focus or dilute it.
Which means you shouldn't create these lists once and then put them in a drawer. These two lists are your map for each day. Review them each morning, along with your calendar, and ask: what's the plan for today? Where will I spend my time? How will it further my focus? How might I get distracted? Then find the courage to follow through, make choices, and maybe disappoint a few people.

When we go away we go with no internet access. That way we really have a holiday and aren't tempted to "just check" emails, FB etc. Family can contact us by mobile if necessary.

Can't imagine doing it any other way and still having such a relaxing time.
Marg

Lucky I don't do that. We were in Europe last year when we got an Email from our travel agent saying our cruise had been cancelled. Would have been a disaster if we turned up at the port a week later as there would have been no ship and would have been too late to transfer to another cruise (which we did- even though we had to travel 500km to get to the new one).:D

Back