Tall poppy syndrome on somersoft or am I just paranoid?

As someone who is only just starting out on their investment journey, I have to say that reading some of the success stories, and imparting of wisdom from you long term investors, is nothing short of inspiration.

I enjoy reading the interviews, I enjoy reading your posts and feedback in various threads, and i try to sponge as much experience as I can from what you all write.

Of course i use the information, and then do my own due dilligence to make sure it suits me - but without the wisdom, info, and sharing of success you guys give here on this forum, i would find it a lot harder to be confident with investing in property.

PARAGRAPH REMOVED

Enjoy and celebrate your successes, because as a relative noob to the property investment world, it is people like you that give confidence to my aspirations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know about the rest of the sommersofters out there, but for me its great to meet fellow minded people who are looking at doing something to improve their future.

As some posters have mentioned, its hard to discuss such topics with friends/relatives due to jelousy or lack of vision/willpower. Thats what makes this forum great. And at the end of the day if there are a few lurkers here, who really cares. As they say 'stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'. At the end of the day im sure most of us will have the last laugh. So be proud of your achievements, at least here you will be appreciated by the majority because you will act as an inspiration to newer posters.

I know i have learned alot from reading posts. And my journey of knowledge still has far to go.

Originally Posted by natmarie73
LOL, no I don't. There are always plenty of pensioners on the computers at my library though, and even my 80 year old dad has a computer and internet. I guess some people get so set in their ways they never change or try new things.

My mother who is 73 this year and pretty with it for a Granny, texts me all the time. I finally convinced her to ring Bigpond to join the internet. She tried really hard, but it was way too complicated for her to set up. In the end she threw her hands up in frustration. She can't afford someone to come out and do it for her. She is pretty switched on so I was disappointed but not suprised.

I know I have spent literally hours on the net trying to configure it every time we need a new modem etc. Infact I have to ring again today as my key is not working properly. Wireless has been really annoying for us! If you are not computer saavy forget it! :eek:

Back to the thread:

So very true natmarie73,

I have been told a very helpful tip when talking with others,

"make yourself interested in the other person, not interesting to them"

By doing it this way, our turn will come and the rapport developed is positive to the interaction and future dealings with that person

You hit the nail on the head there Michael.

Originally Posted by natmarie73
When I have a conversation with someone I don't know very well, or I know is not a property investor I tend to talk about what their interests are eg travel. I think if you make the other person feel good about something they are interested in and their achievements first, they might be more receptive to listening about your investing and might want to learn more.

Steve: More often than not they're quite happy to keep talking to themselves, but that's fine with me. If that's the case, you know they're not the sort of person who you'd want to talk to about your property anyway.

I find this is more often the case, that people just don't want to hear it. I don't tell people the truth why I sometimes fly interstate when they ask. People think I take weird two day holidays!

Another thing I can't stand is when people use the explanation "lucky" to describe someone's success. That REALLY grates on me. :p

Regards Jo

FWIW As someone still in the earlier stages of this I really appreciate the numbers that people have put up. It helps me be less afraid of big numbers - which is something I really needed to learn - still learning it. So I have never thought someone was boasting when they listed numbers or net worth on this forum - especially when big.

I buy Australian property investor each month.

It seems that the average number of properties the investors they provide articles on has jumped from 3 to 4 IP's a few years back to 8 to 12 properties now...and the net equity of some of these investors is now considerable.

I presume this is a result of the big run up in property prices over recent years and the amount of leveraging property investors have been able to do (via lines of credit to 80% and using the additional funds for deposits).

I also invest in sharemarket and these forums have an almost caustic attitude to property and property investors. Apart from their strong views that the Australian property prices will implode they seem to be waiting to derive satisfaction and congratulate themselves should this happen.

I am reluctant to post my own details of gross property equity, debt and net equity as I don't want to attract this negative attention. By Sydney standards it is not that large. I have finally convinced my father (I think) that by owning a reasonable $ value of property (reasonable is all relative) does not mean I am rolling in cashflow from week to week He was surprised, even uncomfortable when I explained the amount of property related debt I had and my monthly mortgage repayments.

Ajax

Back