Tall Poppy Syndrome

Spot on Xenia, and it's more their own insecurities that lead them to make these comments. So whilst the comments are directed at us, it's more a reflection on them, and even a way for them to possibly mask they're disappointment with themselves (although I would'nt say that to them!;) ) ie. easier to criticize you and your achievments by saying you were lucky than looking back at their own past and realizing the mistakes they've made.

My own experience in a country where there's no social security is, TPS is not prevalent.

Everyone seems to want to encourage each other to do well. In fact, not trying to do well is looked down on. When a group of friends get together, all (well almost all) they talk about is how to make the next dollar. Everyone seem to be very supportive of each other. No poor are looked down on, just those who don't try.

Perhaps social security has something to do with it? (may be not? I have absolutely no idea, just guessing)

However, that was my limited experience. Perhaps some other people have more insights to add.

I began investing at 19 when the average house in Adelaide was around $150,000. I calculated that if the accusers started investing at the same age they could have picked up property for $30,000! They too would have been "lucky" if they did something about it!

Haha - nice one! I'll use that. Now I just need something for my friends who are a few years younger than me... any suggestions? I usually say 'property is always a lot of money, as I was earning less then' but I don't feel it's very effective.

One recently said 'Oh, you bought a place. You must be rich.' My response was, 'Yeah, it took me years of saving but I got there'. That usually makes them have a little internal dialog of 'Oh... maybe I should start saving too'.

I've got some strange friends who think they can decide then buy a property and then do so within the next 2 months. They then get upset when they realise they have to save for a few years first and just give up...

let's just say i've learned to keep my mouth shut... i agree it's not a very exciting topic in social situations (except for me....).... most of my friends are talking about holidays around the world, where they spent all their savings or using credit... and me? i kept most of my money to invest in shares and properties.... seems like such a 'boring' thing to do...

Hi suffragette,

I bet what your friend's don't realize is that you could afford to take your own holiday at anytime you wanted to and to almost any destination around the world .... if you so chose!!!

It may be boring now,,,,, but just wait until you can decide exactly what you want to do, and when you want to do it without having to worry about where the money is coming from to do it with!! (I'm not there yet, but will be in another few years (5-10) if things keep working out as they have over the past few years, and I keep investing).

I've got some strange friends who think they can decide then buy a property and then do so within the next 2 months. They then get upset when they realise they have to save for a few years first and just give up...

Not to mention the research skills, time and effort involved, but I'm sure most people who are not property investors wouldn't really understand that either!!

We are both used to it nowadays, although the wife is far better at hiding the "thing" than I. Go geoff, should ahve a field day with that one.
Sorry Dazza, I'm not going to touch "that thing" :D

Dazza, you've done amazing things with your property investment- things I couldn't even dream of. So I guess that even responses you've had in this forum might even give you a feeling the same as some of your mates. You've felt the "putting down" thing from some people.

I, for one, shake my head with amazement, as you have gone above a level that many of us have, with apparently little (or none) of the obstacles we've faced. Well done!

I've been through a different path, and have battled through very many minor obstacles. I was proud of what I had done.

Until I read about what you had done.

Congratulations!

I think I am starting to understand the TPS in my social circle what makes it 1000 times worse when I tell people about my business or when they ask about it they instantly assume its my fathers or something (I'm 24 and have a fairly decent sized business by any scale). It really pains me because I worked really hard to get what I have I did buy my business cheap and have worked my *** of to get it to what it is today. Some people just don't understand. As for dealing with friends and talking about the property I have/had most just aren't interested and its not even worth the bother believe me. I firmly believe in the concept (after testing it many times) that YOU CAN'T HELP SOMEONE WHO CAN'T HELP THEMSELVE'S!! That goes from everything from personal/relationship stuff up to financial. well thats my little vent.

It honestly feels like you are dragging this enormous great deadweight unspoken "thing" around with you all the time....a good and happy "thing" no doubt, but a socially unacceptable taboo "thing" that cannot be shared. It gets frustrating after a while.
I really related to these comments Dazz. I have 4 friends who know what I'm up to in IP's. Two are very encouraging and we chat all the time about it. The other two showed some minor interest, so I loaned them Jan's book and "The Secret". But they haven't come back with any positive comments yet...I think they might be a bit skeptical.

I really wanted a broader group to discuss and learn from. So I started "Property Investment Princesses"...a group for female investors in Cairns. We meet every couple of months for brunch, and that gives me a venue.

As for my other family/friends...I just don't bring up the topic at all....tis taboo. So even though I would like to help them become wealthy too (AKA lots of good debt), and share my IP journey, I refrain. Tis frustrating at times, especially when I've just negotiated a good deal and I'm really excited, but I respect where they're coming from too. I appreciate that they are scared to take the risk. Borrowing money, even to acquire wealth, is really scary for a lot of folk. Telling them of my achievements only makes them feel inadequate and reminds them of their fear. Not a nice thing to do to one's friends.

This actually explains a lot. I am yet, but soon will, to invest in my first IP and so I kept asking a friend about his ventures, just to get a little extra info. He seemed reluctant to tell me anything at first and would always end it with "don't tell anyone else". After my constant queries, he eventually loosened up and even began asking me for my opinion.

I never understood why he was so secretive about it until I read the above posts. I just thought he was a little paranoid. :)

It is kinda of scary that people feel threatened by ones success. Maybe I shouldn't be so liberal in discussing my plans for the future.

Although, I did mention to one person that I was thinking of buying an IP. His response was, "you must be getting paided more than I am". The truth was actually quite the opposite.

Although, I did mention to one person that I was thinking of buying an IP. His response was, "you must be getting paided more than I am". The truth was actually quite the opposite.

It's easier for the person you spoke to to believe that you make more money than he does. Otherwise he would have to face up to the fact that he can't manage money. Other people's success tend to highlight your weaknesses.
Alex

Back