tax deducting repairs when converting PPOR to IP

G'day all,
Newbie question: I will be moving out of my current PPOR and convert it into IP in July.

I am considering potentially doing a few works on the place before marketing it for rental and wanted to better understand the tax implications.
As far as I understand, practically repair or maintenance works will be immediately tax-deductible as the property wasn't rented before (it was my ppor).
The below is my current understanding - am I on the right track??

1. Replacing the fitted carpets, and vertical blinds on patio doors: not tax deductible, but is capital works and can be depreciated over x years depending on depreciation schedule.

2. Cleaning the property: not tax deductible - not depreciable

3. Professional painting of the property: not tax deductible - not depreciable

1. Replacing the fitted carpets, and vertical blinds on patio doors: not tax deductible, but is capital works and can be depreciated over x years depending on depreciation schedule.

You're mostly correct, other than that the carpets and blinds aren't capital works (they're plant and equipment). If, however, you replace the carpet with tiles, those tiles would be capital works. It depends on the nature of the flooring.

3. Professional painting of the property: not tax deductible - not depreciable

This is an interesting one. First of all, get accountant advice. Second, we can depreciate paint as capital works but this depends on the scope of the works. Was it the whole house? Furthermore, given that it will be 2.5% over 40 years, it will only add a small amount to your yearly bottom line.

I'm with Chris. The painting seems like a Div 43 item and eligible for write off over 40 years. Carpet etc as P&E would be at an accelerated depn rate. A QS would likely identify substantially more P&E and capital allowance items perhaps.

I'd have thought the costs of preparing the property to be rented would all be capital.

Yes. Correct. Capital expenditure may include items that are subject to depreciation and capital allowance deductions. That's the reason for obtaining a QS report. It converts what would otherwise be a CGT cost base item into some deductions.

Back