Tax deduction for Family member borrowings for deposit

Hi SS

I have purchased a property, borrowing 80% funds from a bank. Unfortunatley I have not had enough time to top up my PPOR loan for the 20% deposit.
Can I borrow 20% from a family member as a commercial agreement (contract etc), then after settlement, top up my PPOR loan for the 20% deposit to repay the family member, whilst maintaining tax deductibility on the 20% bank loan (due to investment purpose) ?

If so, is there anything I need to be weary of .. thanks!

Hi SS

I have purchased a property, borrowing 80% funds from a bank. Unfortunatley I have not had enough time to top up my PPOR loan for the 20% deposit.
Can I borrow 20% from a family member as a commercial agreement (contract etc), then after settlement, top up my PPOR loan for the 20% deposit to repay the family member, whilst maintaining tax deductibility on the 20% bank loan (due to investment purpose) ?

If so, is there anything I need to be weary of .. thanks!

it is is a proper arms lenght, commercial transaction then it can be possible that this will be acceptable. make sure commercial terms and written loan agreement with interest paid as per the agreement.

Back