tax on overseas company share allocation for employees

I work for a multinational.

part of my package is a shares entitlement from our UK head office. Shares traded in UK. Shares are awarded and vest after 3 years subsequent service

I pay tax on the shares entitlement as income in the year that they vest and are available for use, whether I sell them or not. Pretty annoying hit to the tax bill every year!

Obviously i would also pay a capital gains tax when the shares are eventually sold (if they go up, and loss if they go down).

My question is if this capital gain/loss is measured purely on the change in share value in its base currency or whether the change in exchange rate between GBP and AUD over the same period is taken into account. If it is taken into account, how is this done?

The annual assessable income includes the "gifting" of the shares and any dividends they pay.

The future CGT issues is determined by the $AUD value in the years acquired and the years sold.

Fun and games !! Use the ATO official exchange rates

The annual assessable income includes the "gifting" of the shares and any dividends they pay.

The future CGT issues is determined by the $AUD value in the years acquired and the years sold.

Fun and games !! Use the ATO official exchange rates

thanks Paul. presume the ATO has daily rates?

EDIT: yep - website has daily rates.

Read the translation rules here : https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/For...change-(forex)--the-general-translation-rule/

You may find the actual rate works for divs (ie the $AUD amount banked). You may find the daily or mnthly avg rates suitable for other transactions. You should advise the UK registry you are non-resident so withholding tax is deducted. You can claim a credit for that too.

dividends are issued as new shares. so no cash dividends. the statement i receive from my employer indicates the shares received incl dividends, which is what I believe my accountant translates into taxable income.

to be fair, I provide the information to the accountant to translate into an accurate return, which I believe he is doing, however this question was prompted merely by me considering to finally liquidate some of these shares to fund some activity at home.

The balance has been growing over the years and the fx rate and share price are about as good as they have ever been (collectively).

I created my own manual spreadsheet to periodically track the portfolio value relative to the share price and fx rate. Haven't been able to find an online tool that could show me a graph of this share value in AUD. If anyone knows of one, I'd be very appreciative.

Back