tax receipt tracking

Hi guys,

Does anyone use a good app they recommend to manage receipts?

Ideally i want it to store a picture of it for easy searching in future and to be able to export expense reports to excel or pdfs?

thank you

Not aware of an app but you can just take a photo of the receipt and email it to yourself and the keep it in a separate receipts folder either in your email or your file system. That's what I do.

Definitely Dropbox.
Syncs a folder structure on your computer and also has a mobile app.

Get a good scanner that does double sided and scan everything.
I also use mobile capture to scan if I don't want to go to the computer.

I use it for more than just receipts. Loan agreements, contracts, warranties, etc
Even for spreadsheets and stuff I can update on the go.

I throw out the originals after scanning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-23-21-21-32.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-23-21-21-32.png
    150 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2014-08-23-21-19-37.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-23-21-19-37.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 81
A image of a receipt isn't always acceptable to the ATO. When they seek substantiation proof they ask for the receipt AND proof it was paid. (Sharing a tax invoice between mates has been tried before and ATO look for it!) If its a higher value cost then it should be made out to the taxpayer, not "cash sales". And its important that the method of payment is evident - eg Paid Visacard....So before taking image write details on it if its not shown. The receipted copy is what they want.

Also as a tax agent I see some AWEFUL images...Make sure it is clear and all of it is capable of reproduction. ATO don't want to look at your phone. They want a printed copy in most cases.

The ones the ATO has issues with are often those rubbish handwritten ones and the identity of the vendor cant be determined. No ABN ?? No address, No date etc or no details about what the cost was for....All warning signs. ATO can just deny deduction if its not apparent.

Images are a great way of saving thermal receipts which fade rapidly when in contact with plastics or a highlighter pen !!

Back