Tax refund from MTS ATO

Hi,
I do my tax (e-tax) and my wife’s tax in parallel and submit them few minutes apart. However, we received our refunds 4 days apart and also it looks like it came from different area of operations.

I received my refund three days ago and banking record says “TRANSFER FROM ATO”.
But my wife got it only today and banking record says “MTS ATO”

Does it mean I’m going to be in trouble soon?

All our investment properties and small business are 50:50. Only wages, shares and interests are different. The only unusual thing I did was that I prepaid obstetrician fees and added all prescribed family medical expenses to her medical expenses.

I don't think you'll be in any trouble, based on what you have said. Have the two amounts gone into the same bank account?

Do you bank with ANZ?

I think MTS shows up firstly then the day after it says exactly where is has come from.

I think its ANZ random have to wait a few days to actually find out where the money has come from.

I think its just Money Transfer System MTS and its ANZ.

IF your not with ANZ then I have no clue :) but I know it happens to me.

Knowlingly I didn't do anything wrong... but still it is a bit worry if they have to take deeper look.

Here are the 'lodgement' records.
Wife's lodgement number: nnnn272
Lodged 27 Aug at 01:39:41 AM - refund received on the 7th of Sep

My lodgement number: nnnn302
Lodged 27 Aug at 01:53:19 AM - refund received on the 3rd of Sep

It was only about 14min difference and there were only 30 people lodged in that time period (based on the lodgement number).

Even though mine is lodged later I still got the refund 4 days earlier. It looks like the first return was flagged for something so someone had to check! That is what I'm worried about :)

Devank,

This happens with me too. She received her 3-4 days before mine.
Last three years, it was even weirder. Both go to same tax agent, file returns at the same time and provide bank details for the returns. She gets it credited in the bank and I get a cheque in the post :(

It was only this year, we both got the amounts credited in the nominated bank account

If either of you have ever worked for the tax office it has to go to a special officer to be approved before a refund can be given. That might explain the delay.

Your wife still received her return inside two weeks, so I doubt there's anything to worry about. If something needed checking or raised a flag, she wouldn't have received her refund in 12 days.

My wife and I lodge through an accountant at the same time. My liability notification or refund always lags hers by days or sometimes weeks.

I don't think there is anything to worry about... MsAli and I lodged our tax return on the same day, and actually not long after the other, but they decided to manually process my tax return. Her return barely took a week, where as mine took over a month - I guess if its manual processing, then it is something to worry about... may be they just didn't like the rental loss.

Back