Tax return and accountants - advice needed

Hi All,

I'm after some advice from the community.

The accountant I have used for many years has not been very responsive lately and it has been pretty hard to get him to reply to my emails.

Mind you, the replies have always been done by the secretary anyway, so I'm not sure he was even reading the details. I've stuck with him because my tax return is quite straight forward. PAYG + a couple of properties.

The trouble is, I've relocated overseas for work and need to do my tax return for 12/13. He's not replying to emails and he's not the type that would do a skype session with me. So I need alternatives.

I moved overseas in August, so for 12/13, my tax return is just normal. My next one will be more interesting as I've become "non-resident" of Australia for taxation purposes that month.

The alternatives I can think of are:

1) DYI tax return 12/13 - download eTax and lodge it myself
2) Find another accountant to do my return

Do you think option 1 is reasonable? I'm not an accountant, but am educated on property and work related deductions. Would that increase my chances of being audited by the ATO? Any pitfalls you can think of?

For option 2, the issue is, I would need an accountant who understands about expat taxation and property. Also, would need to be willing to skype and talk. I'd go for this option if I knew there would be a relationship created. But in my experience, the Juniors in the office do the tax return anyway, and because I'm a small fish, the service I've been getting is quite limited. So I'm not sure this is the way to go.

Do you agree with that?

I'm after some reassurance ;)

Are you sure you'll be classified as a non resident? The Rudd got changed the rules in this and it is now a lot harder to be classed as a non resident from an A TO point of view, please make sure you look into this thoroughly. There is some info on the ATO website.

I wouldn't be doing my own return if I were you

Yeah, I'm sure about that. The company I work for hired some hotshot accountants firm to give advice to employees relocating. They confirmed my status.

Why wouldn't you be doing your own tax return? Any specific concerns?

Yeah, I'm sure about that. The company I work for hired some hotshot accountants firm to give advice to employees relocating. They confirmed my status.

Why wouldn't you be doing your own tax return? Any specific concerns?

Don't be so sure. This is a complex area and will depend on your situation, not that of the company. Did you get your own advice?

I would suggest you contact Coastymike of this forum as he knows the non residence issues well and does skype conferences.

You could do your own tax return - but should you?

Yes Terry, they hired the accountants to provide specific advice to the employees based on their specific situation. I got the advice in writing and have checked it against the ATO website. The advice seems sound.

Yes Terry, they hired the accountants to provide specific advice to the employees based on their specific situation. I got the advice in writing and have checked it against the ATO website. The advice seems sound.

Fair enough, then it may be even more important to make sure you set things up correctly, especially considering any investments in Australia as foreigners pay different tax rates starting at around 30% with no tax free threshold.

Which country have you moved to?
If you're in asia try http://www.smats.net/
Also have branches in Dubai, London & USA.
Was a flat fee for 12mths advice & a tax return.

They do have a Australian Property and Mortgage Brokers arm (various currencies) but I only used tax advice services.

Cheers

Which country have you moved to?
If you're in asia try http://www.smats.net/
Also have branches in Dubai, London & USA.
Was a flat fee for 12mths advice & a tax return.

They do have a Australian Property and Mortgage Brokers arm (various currencies) but I only used tax advice services.

Cheers

Yes, I'm in Asia.

How long have you been with them? Has the experience been positive? Does the flat fee cover questions via emails along the way?

Used them for one year. Returned to Oz after 18mths.
Good service. Flat fee at the time for 12mths of questions. They also have regular sessions and updates to their client base. (ie. tax time, budget time, etc). Emails & phone calls where fine. Good knowledge on IPs as well.

Cheers

Used them for one year. Returned to Oz after 18mths.
Good service. Flat fee at the time for 12mths of questions. They also have regular sessions and updates to their client base. (ie. tax time, budget time, etc). Emails & phone calls where fine. Good knowledge on IPs as well.

Cheers

Great! Thanks for the info.

Back