Tax Variation Question

In the process of starting a new job in the New Year and was looking to submit a tax variation form as soon as practically possible so the first pay is at the adjusted tax rate.

In filling out the form however, it asks to attach a payslip. Question is, do I need to wait until after the first pay and therefore the first pay slip before I can submit the variation claim? Or can I, attach the contract which indicates annual salary, frequency of pay, ABN ie the information that they require in section B of the form and would this satisfy the ATO? Anyone with experience on this at all?

Apparently the ATO is closed until the New Year (2/1/13) :(

Edit: I see that they do ask in the form for a payroll or employee number, of which I do not know until Jan 7th when I start. Mmm, I might have just answered my own question....

need to wait until u start especially in a bigger company, they want to send variation letter to payroll with your employee number on it to avoid confusion and stuff ups

i have had in my small business a couple of employees try to lodge b4 they start and ato hold onto paperwork until first payslip is provided anyway so no point

accountants might know a way around it or a especially code to put on it, otherwise you have to wait a week/fortnight and then 3 weeks for processing

make sure u tell payroll to expect the variation letter in the mail

Back