Teaching English in Japan

I looked into this a few years ago but ended up getting myself a full time job in Aus so it never eventuated. I know a few people who have done it though and they seemed to have a great time.

skater i think the rationale is if you're intelligent enough to complete a degree then you should have no trouble with teaching English, as you should be able to quickly pick up the required skills. I believe with most places comprehensive training is also included.

You are right Rickardo training is included. The process to be offered employment was quite thorough.

Daughter is very impressed with the Lady she has been dealing with. Answering all her questions and mine.
Not sure how the Japanese culture will accept my daughter. She is bubbly and full of life. She does have a very good work ethic so I think if the kids accept her it will be great for both. :D

250,000 or $2,500 is the legal min ... which is NOW the standard, as Alex says everywhere. It would be hard to find higher pay. It's not much esp if you're in Tokyo, as Alex says. But hey it's the experience of a lifetime for a person just out of uni. Ahhh ... I remember when I first got here I didn't have a job, was too old for the working holi visa and was too old for most schools ... in Japan if you're over 35 jobs are tough to get in any profession. My starting income was much less than that ... but now is very different.

We have a bad image here though ... many kids take days off without warning to go surfing, travelling, drinking, etc. The Japanese say we don't have a good work ethic. It's easy to understand though ... just out of uni, this is NOT the average person's career ... so why not ENJOY and not sweat the job.

Many teachers take on extra "private" students that pay much more than the Co lessons. These can significantly bump up your income. If you can get the JET of school system jobs the hours are better, long holi and better pay ... but those jobs are few and I believe the conditions are tightening recently.

I concur with Patosan but...................

Actually 250000 yen isn't the legal minimum any more.
I am looking for work but would not consider Interac since i have been here a while and know there reputation. I declined a job offer a few years back as I wasn't impressed.
Your daughter will be underpaid and taken advantage of thats for sure.
What are the hours and vacation days sick days. if none , go to Japan and try to find another company asasp

I have seen private lessons drop from 5000 yen an hour to 2500 yen an hour
accommodation is the secret downfall here in Japan.
you will need to pay pension and health insurance which are super expensive.
If you are going to Tokyo you may be leading a miserable life.
Is 100yen for an apple ok? Regardless of what people say on this forum, food is expensive........nearly everything is expensive

Now is not a good time to teach as there are too many teachers here, and finding your own accommodation in osaka could cost you 10 months rent in advance for key money........which you will likely find real hard to get back.
There are small villages which can be super friendly or super isolated but your daughter is probably in a major town if with interact
accommodation could easily cost you 3 months key money which you wont get back, plus a month or two to different people.
You could be lucky and not pay this amount but it is unlikely. Everyone I know has had to do this in Fukuoka
You generally need to have a guarantor . you cant just rent a place.

I would seek return airfare,as part of the contract and push for accommodation or at least the company to go guarantor
I suspect your daughter will have a good experience but it may not be a rewarding one with Interac. They are often sub contracting to prefectural schools and as such you maybe not covered by labour law

Where is the Location. Thats super important.
did she do year6 high school Japanese........great.
if not , well its all part of the experience.
Several women English teachers have been chopped up or dumped in forests, but in terms of safety , I think with some common sense your daughter will be fine.............................probably not what you wanted to here !
So go to Japan , be aware of what I have said , but apply for the jet program as well

Back