Telegraph Poles

W

WebBoard

Here's an unusual one.

I have a rental property in which one of the telegraph poles has been condemned by the electricity authority. We will, therefore, have to replace the bloody thing. Does anyone know rough prices for a telegraph pole installed? I am fearing it is going to be pretty expensive. It might even be cheaper to put all the wires underground.

Also I assume this could be classed as a repair? (We've had the property about 3 years) So then I could claim the whole lot in one year. Would that be right?

Thanks for your help

Terryw

ps The property is an acreage with about 6 poles on the actual property grounds, not the ones on the footpath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Plant a pine tree, then cut off all the branches once it has grown... should do the trick ;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1

Terry
In SA, jobs costing more than a certain amount can now be outsourced to private companies. Your pole will (hopefully) be well under this threshold if the same applies in NSW but you may be stuck with your state electrical authority. Still, you can probably choose WHEN you replace the pole, and yes it is a repair.

For anyone considering power connection in a rural area, I recently installed 19kVA overhead powerlines for more than a kilometre plus 500m of underground 240v cable. I found that what the state electrical authority says is not necessarily gospel so it's worth checking with independent elecrical engineers as well.

Also, an interesting thing I discovered this week - your telephone cable doesn't have to be underground! It can travel in a conduit clipped to your paddock fencing which is a huge saving over a distance.

Reply: 1.1.1

I've seen some really funky phone lines in my time - mostly in rural areas.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1.1

Thanks Michelle (and you too Sim' :))

Reply: 1.1.1.2

Why not pull down all those telegraph poles and breed a few elephants instead. That way you can make as many Trunk calls as you like.

bye.gif

Happy Investing,
Rixter :)

Reply: 1.1.1.2.1

Rixter,

An oldy but an oldy.

Do people now know what a trunk call is?

Geoff

Back