Telopea vs Carlingford

I know thess areas has been discussed few times already. But I would like more opinions from local people about Telopea.

I am currently living in the city. Sick of the sirens and noise on the weekends. I would like buy a 3 bedrm townhouse/duplex for around $600k to accomodate a new baby.

I like the Carlingford area with good schools and shopping but they cost mid to high $600k. Whereas in Telopea, I can get a newer townhouse for $560k-$600k.

I have a friend living in Telopea on Kissing point rd. and he say the area is quite nice. But when I read the comments in http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/suburb.aspx?suburbID=42172. I am kind of worried. However I drive around that area few times during the day, the area looks fine and a lot of new townhouses and house development there.

The Housing NSW is in the process of redeveloping HC in Telopea, I think it will be just the same people living in better houses. I am not sure how well it will improve the neighbourhood and the property value.

However the median price of Telopea went up from $500k in 2009 to $599k in 2011 (from APM). It may caused by all these new low density developments.

My conclusion:
Carlingford
1)Safer area with older townhouses in higher prices.
2)Good neighbouhood with good public schools.
3)Stable growth in property value.

Telopea
1)Cheaper and newer townhouses.
2)A not so good neighbourhood (may improve with gov redevelopment).
3)More potential for property value growth than Carlingford.

What do you guys think? Is Telopea really that bad? Should I take the risk and buy in Telopea to catch the new rising wave?

Thanks.

Don't limit your search area to Carlingford and Telopea.

There would be a limited supply of duplexes to start with within Carlingford, as Carlingford is in the the Baulkham Hills Shire Council LGA and although building duplexes in this LGA is permitted they cannot be sub-divided.

Also look at areas like North Rocks and Oatlands.

Try to avoid Telopea if you can - it has a bad reputation, but if you do decide to stick with Telopea ensure that you remain on the western side of the train station - and I would also avoid Kissing Point Road.

Agree, I have lived in Telopea for 3yrs this March, We are on the Western Side of the railway and in a area which there is no reason to drive through unless you are a resident as it is one road in and out. There is quite a lot of knocking down and rebuilding going on around the area.

Currently Telopea has 550 H/C tenants in the area around Sturt and Moffat, with the new development it will have 550 H/c tenants and approx 1100 low to middle income owner (Means people on the H/C list who will be able to buy the place instead of rent it) so a extra 1100 people moving to the area but i guess at least they will own the place so hopefully will take care of it.

We have not had any issues although my wife avoids the shops at Telopea and uses Carlingford court or Ermington to do some grocery shopping. The Western side of the railway is a lot nicer some big blocks of land (We are on over 820sqm) and in a 1970s brick house which I have gutted and renovated over the last 2yrs, almost finished just carpet and timber flooring to go inside the house now.

Dundas Public (On Kissing Point Rd) has a good reputation for quality teaching and the is also a good catholic primary in Dundas. As for High schools I haven’t done much research as my kids are only just starting primary, but you have kings College, James Ruse Agri and there is also a private girls school which has a good rep as well.

Getting around (by car) is easy as it is quite central to Silverwater rd, James Ruse Drive, M2, M4 and M7 plus Pennant Hills rd, I can make it on a Saturday night to the city in 40mins, during the week traffic is busy but if you pick you time it take my wife 15mins to drive to Meadowbank and catches the train to the city (1hr each way).
The telopea train is useless currently but if they ever do the Parra to Epping upgrade I think that will help property values go up and aid in making it even easier to get around.

I guess it’s one of the situations if you buy right you will have no issues, get it wrong and it could be a thorn in your side.

Would i live elsewhere yes but not really any further out, more like West Ryde Dennistone but the prices are out of my league, so i settle for the best i can afford. Which thankfully isnt to bad or rough.

Hi Moifa

I grew up in these suburbs and have bought for clients so know it pretty well :)
Agree that the western side of the station (bordering Oatlands and Kingsdene) is preferable if you want to stay away from the HC side. Even as kids out walking there were certain "areas" we avoided and it doesn't seem to have changed much. I think the Tintern Ave area is quite nice and there's some quite impressive renovated homes in this section.
The area around James Ruse High, whilst still Carlingford throws up the occasional "renovators delight" house though you'd be stretching it at $600K. There's also older townhouses (e.g.: complex in Pleasant Crt) that may suit though it depends on what size you're after?

I'd like to know how important transport is to you, as given that you need to change at Clyde to get into the city you may almost be better off looking further afield perhaps at suburbs that are serviced by cbd buses eg: Baulkham Hills, North Rocks, Oatlands, outskirts of Parramatta.

If noise isn't too much of an issue for you then also look further up the Epping train line towards Pennant Hills and Thornleigh- definitely townhouses in your budget but compromises will need to be made location and size-wise.
Best of luck with your impending purchase :)

Thanks a lot for all your valuable info. I look at townhouses in Oatlands. There are many choices under $650k (that's my budget). The area seems pretty good. Transport is the main downside, but I don't mind taking bus then train to the city.

Dundas valley has some nice new townhouses as well. But I heard there are some HC houses there as well. Is the area any good?

I am planning to move at the end of the year or early next year. So I prefer off the plan townhouses to get my stamp duty discount if I can find one below $600k.

Thanks a lot for all your valuable info. I look at townhouses in Oatlands. There are many choices under $650k (that's my budget). The area seems pretty good. Transport is the main downside, but I don't mind taking bus then train to the city.

Dundas valley has some nice new townhouses as well. But I heard there are some HC houses there as well. Is the area any good?

I am planning to move at the end of the year or early next year. So I prefer off the plan townhouses to get my stamp duty discount if I can find one below $600k.

Hi Moifa

Don't forget that the First Home-New Home scheme (don't you love all these creative names!) entitles you to a SD exemption up to $500K for OTP or brand new properties, with a sliding scale then up to $600K. For example, if you purchased at $550K you still pay SD of approx $11K (as opposed to $20K normally) but by the time the pp is $600K you're paying the same as everyone else (approx $22K)- just in case you didn't know.

Best of luck with your impending purchase- Oatlands is a good choice but I think you will struggle to purchase brand new for under $600K here. Have you considered North Parra at all?

You could also consider Ermington/Rydalmere. Rydalmere has access to rail (same line), buses and the ferry.

I am sceptical of rising median price rises especially when it is skewed because of a large supply of new units/townhouses.

I have seen a few houses in Dundas Valley near the shops & school on sub-$600k for larger blocks.

Back