Temporary Accomodation during repairs

Our RP in Brisbane was flooded when rats ate through the plumbing in the ceiling. We are organising through the insurer to get repairs done and are trying to find accomodation for the tenants, which is proving difficult as we let them have a pet (dog) in the tenancy agreement - are we responsible for it as well?

Our RP in Brisbane was flooded when rats ate through the plumbing in the ceiling. We are organising through the insurer to get repairs done and are trying to find accomodation for the tenants, which is proving difficult as we let them have a pet (dog) in the tenancy agreement - are we responsible for it as well?

if the dishlicker is on your rental agreement then its entitled to have a roof over its head as well...

if not bye bye pooch to a dog shelter...

i would do the righty though, its hardly the tenants or dogs fault...

unlucky all round for all of you....

surely the agent can help? or are you handling yourself?

rats ate through the plumbing in the ceiling.

Uhm. As someone looking to buy in Brisbane - is this just a Brisbane rat problem? I've never heard of rats eating plumbing.

Mighty fanged beasties these must be. In inspecting houses, should I be on the lookout for teeth marks?

Haven't they anything else they can eat? Cane toads or something?

Do they understand how difficult the dog is making finding short term accomodation? They may well appreciate how hard pets make it to find a place.

Perhaps they might meet you halfway and send the dog to friends/family for the few weeks the repairs take?

Most people can be quite reasonable if they are treated reasonably.

You could try this site to find temp accomm that is pet friendly
www.stayz.com.au

All the best

It is good that there are IP owners that allow companion animals in leases. Sometimes better behaved than some rugrats

A good landlord's insurance policy should cover the cost of temporary accommodation, and if you're lucky, they'll even arrange it. I should think you're obliged to house the dog, if it was there with permission, but I don't think you're obliged to house it with its owners, ie I would think it's reasonable to pay for an apartment for the two-legged family and a kennel for the dog, as Lil Skater suggests.

Good luck. :)

A good landlord's insurance policy should cover the cost of temporary accommodation, and if you're lucky, they'll even arrange it. I should think you're obliged to house the dog, if it was there with permission, but I don't think you're obliged to house it with its owners, ie I would think it's reasonable to pay for an apartment for the two-legged family and a kennel for the dog, as Lil Skater suggests.

Good luck. :)

In our country, this is what tenant insurance is for.(about $130 year)
Our property insurance will not cover anything to do with the tenant.

What you call "tenant insurance" is what we call "landlord's insurance". ;)

No it isn't.
Our tenant insurance is only for the tenants personal property, their liability if they do something, and it includes accommodation should their rental is uninhabital.

We have landlord insurance.It covers the building, our liabilty, and loss rental income, should it become uninhabital.
Under no circumstance will it insure tenants personal property or their accommodation.

The plumbing problem was unforeseeable.
The landlord only has a duty of care.

We had a similar situation, when a mouse we think it was, nibbled a hole in the water service line to the dishwasher. Nothing was noticed, until the next morning, when the tenant got out of bed, and walked into a flooded living room/kitchen. To add interest, we also managed the unit downstairs, which had even more water through out. The upstairs unit had Landlords Insurance, and to make life easy, the assessor for the LL insurerer, was also the assessor for the building insurerer. Now, the LL insurance did not have any cover for temporary accommodation, it was their view, that is why a tenant should take out their own insurance. I did identify however, that the Building Insurance, did provide temporary accommodation cover. The damage bill was then shared between the LL Insurance, and the building insurance. Since then we have been a bit more conscious of plastic water services, and when a plumber is on the premises, we encourage preventive maintenance and had them changed to steel ones.

Temporary accommodation is covered under the building policy.

Contents insurance is exactly as it says - contents of a building that can all be removed.
Marg

Back