Tenancy changes bring relief for renters

Tenancy changes bring relief for renters
December 23, 2009
TENANTS will be able to break a lease more easily and will be spared from a number of administrative fees under changes to tenancy laws proposed by the State Government.

The draft Residential Tenancies Bill 2009, which has more than 100 amendments to current laws, has been largely welcomed by tenants groups, but landlords and real estate agents say it hands too much power to lessees.

The bill allows tenants to break a fixed-term lease with 14 days' notice provided they pay a ''break fee'' of up to six weeks' rent. It also allows tenants to make minor alterations to a property at their own expense.
Article Continues

Will this only affect those in NSW given it's a State Government law?

Link to the bill/draft:
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/A...on/Draft_Residential_Tenancies_Bill_2009.html

Without reading the entire bill, the points described in the article don't really worry me.

2 weeks notice, then they pay another 6 weeks fees? In the current market that gives me 8 weeks to find a new tenant. It'll probably take 2-3 so the other 5 weeks will easily cover any costs associated with setting up a new lease and leave some cash in my pocket.

I'd get a rental increase too :)

Reducing the time to get to tribunal definitely favors the landlord.

I don't think I would like those changes, lucky I'm in ACT.

If they can break the lease so easily, what is the pointof a lease.
And I can see a LOT of issues arising about making "minor" changes, particularly in disagreement of what 'minor' is and doing something that may actually detract from the property (ie, repainting, taking out or putting in fixtures).

I don't think I would like those changes, lucky I'm in ACT.

If they can break the lease so easily, what is the pointof a lease.
And I can see a LOT of issues arising about making "minor" changes, particularly in disagreement of what 'minor' is and doing something that may actually detract from the property (ie, repainting, taking out or putting in fixtures).

In theory, can't a tenant break a lease easily now - don't they just keep paying rent till you find a new tenant, would most places on average rent out within 6 weeks ?

Without reading the entire bill, the points described in the article don't really worry me.
Fair enough, here are some other changes (summary of):

The draft Bill increases the notice given to tenants who are no longer in a fixed term lease from 60 days to 90 days.

The Bill gives tenants greater flexibility to add fixtures or make alterations of a minor or cosmetic nature at their own expense.

The Bill will require all tenants be given at least one free and easy option to pay their rent.
Getting sick of seeing agencies charging for convenient electronic payment methods, this one is a very fair change.

The Bill will require rented premises to be water efficient if tenants are to pay for water.
So all those smart LLs that are charging their tenants for water charges better get out their wallets for water saving/efficient fittings in the home!

There are of course some positives for LLs, but there is definitely a leaning towards improved conditions/terms for tenants!

More here:
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/A...sed_legislation/Tenancy_reform_proposals.html

The Bill will require all tenants be given at least one free and easy option to pay their rent.
Getting sick of seeing agencies charging for convenient electronic payment methods, this one is a very fair change.
Centerpay seems very good. I get charged 99c a pop for that, free for the tenant.

The Bill will require rented premises to be water efficient if tenants are to pay for water.
So all those smart LLs that are charging their tenants for water charges better get out their wallets for water saving/efficient fittings in the home!
Water is horrifically expensive and not really something the LL should pay for in some places, as it could easily get higher than the rent. Bit like paying for the tenant's electricity.

I wonder if there is consideration for people not on mains - mine came with 40,000L of tank water and that should be enough for 2 people - it was enough for 4 while we were there. If they run out, it is $50 for 2000L. I put a clause in the lease that the water was entirely at their cost.

We have only been able to charge tenants for their water use for less than two years, and one provision is that the premises must be water efficient. We already got our wallet out for this. Nothing changes for us with this one.

We have only been able to charge tenants for their water use for less than two years, and one provision is that the premises must be water efficient. We already got our wallet out for this. Nothing changes for us with this one.

As far as I'm aware these are changes for NSW only (?), so assuming your IP is in QLD then they may just be catching up...

Up to six weeks to get a new tenant (AFTER 14 days notice already given) seems more than sufficient.

Any longer would lead to a strong suspicion that the landlord was not really genuine in his/her efforts.
Marg

Back