Tenancy laws in Australia - why have different laws per state?

It is madness that each state in Australia has different laws regarding rental bonds, ending a tenancy and other ridiculous differences. Uniformity across all states would surely save everyone money in the long run. What possible valid reason could there be to keep these different.

This is a good summary page of each state's residential tenancy laws.

http://www.rentalagreementsdiy.com.au/tenancy_laws_in_australia.php

Further down the page is a section on time it takes on average to evict someone.
I suppose it is an average across all states. Would be interesting to know the state by state figures.

Eviction for non-payment of rent
Duration until completion of service of process 3
Duration of trial 35
Duration of enforcement 6
Total Days to Evict Tenant 44
ref - Courts: The Lex Mundi Project.

To me, that is like asking why USA has different laws to Australia.

Because different citizens voted in different politicians on the basis (hopefully) of those politicians' judgement.

Same with WHS laws.

A merry-go-round was deemed unsafe to operate in Queensland, but is happily giving kids rides in Melbourne (and has never had an accident in 100 years).

Go figure...
Marg

I believe all these are bxxxxxit. How can the law regulate how many weeks rent can be charged advance or bond etc. It is purely sell-buy agreement. As far the evaction of tenants etc, all these favours the tenants.

Because of Australia's history - because the nation developed as colonies and now we are a federation and the constitution does not give power of leases to the Commonwealth so by default it falls to the states.

TheAnalyst - the law regulates landlord-tenant relationships because of the perceived imbalance in bargaining power. It is the same reason we have the Trade Practices Act, Fair Trading Acts, employment law etc.

Because of Australia's history - because the nation developed as colonies and now we are a federation and the constitution does not give power of leases to the Commonwealth so by default it falls to the states.

TheAnalyst - the law regulates landlord-tenant relationships because of the perceived imbalance in bargaining power. It is the same reason we have the Trade Practices Act, Fair Trading Acts, employment law etc.

You think the landlords and tenants are imbalanced - it is ONE person against another. How about banks? Why there is no regulation on the banks automatically pass on the cuts at the same time as teh RBA cuts? You may argue it is market economy and no requirement. Why not the rental market?

My view is something the government should have done but they have not; something should should not have done, but they have. In WA, if you want tenants out, you need wait for 60 days first; then if the tenants are not happy, they could drag on another months.

Good web -site for Qld rents.

Found what seems to be a great rta gov't run web-site for Qld ...best bit is it lists median rents PLUS numbers of deals. Solves a lot of "debate" with agents and tenants.

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/index.cfm

Does anybody know where I can get similar data for Vic & NSW ??
Thanks
LL

I don't even know why Australia bothers with State Governments. I would vote to abolish them all and let the Federal Government make the laws. The trouble is there would be mass unemployment as all the windbag politicians and bureaucrats would be out of a job.

I don't even know why Australia bothers with State Governments. I would vote to abolish them all and let the Federal Government make the laws. The trouble is there would be mass unemployment as all the windbag politicians and bureaucrats would be out of a job.

Yes, but more importantly, what would happen to the NRL state of origin? :D

Back