Tenant Application - Vision Impaired

Hi All

I am a private investor and I have a property available to rent; a 3 bed townhouse on 2 levels with moderately steep internal stairs turning 90 degrees half way up. All internal features of the property are typical for occupancy for able-bodied people, ie, the property is not fitted with any features to assist tenants with special-needs.

Regarding a tenant application where the applicant is blind (so far negligible application info on degree of blindness, ability to maintain the property in good condition, need for guide dog, etc), I am seeking info on past experience from anyone who has appraised a similar application. The applicant required the assistance of another person to inspect the property, however would be living alone in the property.

I am very mindful of the delicate nature of the application in regards to perceived discrimination during the application process.

My question relates specifically to whether there are unusual or additional obligations on the owner to cater for special needs of a vision impaired tenant, eg, potential increased risk to the insurance company for personal injury or property damage; the general safety of the applicant and the potential for litigation against the owner; the potential need to provide special needs features like hand rails or instructions in braille.

I will be grateful if you have info from a similar experience, or if you can direct me to relevant info sources.

Retiree

The premises being a residence is generally exempt from any compliance requirements under the disabled discrimination acts. As such, the occupant is familiar with their own environment and know where furniture, door openings, stairs and other hazards are located though they may seek to make some alterations to the premises (which may make them a long term tenant).

Thanks for your feedback. The initial application inquiry was for a short lease of 6 months which makes it difficult to justify the cost of alterations to the premises. In general I would be happy to work with any tenant, to provide modest improvements to achieve long term tenancies. There needs to be commitment from both parties, which I will explore further.

Scott's response is spot on. It would be totally your decision. But you can imagine how hard it is for the tenant to go around 'looking' at new places and getting someone to help. Once he or she is there, they're likely to want to stay.
If he or she chooses your property, my guess is that it's already got several features which provide the clarity and security required - no silly one-off steps, reasonably new and good condition, easy access bathroom and laundry. Probably close to public transport.
This person may be going on advice and taking a 6 month lease just to be on the safe side but will no doubt want to stay for a very long time.
Yes, he or she might need a modification or two but is likely to have a very high skill set in coping with the way things are and just getting used to it.
He or she will have learnt very good living skills and could get in a cleaner or have friends or 'help' to fill the short-falls of every day life. It could be a good question to ask before you make any commitments.
As for a Labrador/golden retriever ... how could you say no?
But seriously, they are to be treated as dogs when they're not in the harness. That's if there is one. Not every blind person is into it.
Good on you for considering this and being so thoughtful before you make a decision. This thoughtfulness is obviously reflected in your choice of property.

Many thanks, WattleIdo
I appreciate your numerous constructive points.
Yes, the property has many of those attributes: security; proximity to services; only 4 townhouses on the block, good condition.
The applicant has, however, since withdrawn the application due to no air conditioning, which has become a very sought after 'standard' feature in recent yrs. Whether to install A/C into properties in order to meet expectations and to minimise vacancy is yet another debate.
Cheers

Many thanks, WattleIdo
I appreciate your numerous constructive points.
Yes, the property has many of those attributes: security; proximity to services; only 4 townhouses on the block, good condition.
The applicant has, however, since withdrawn the application due to no air conditioning, which has become a very sought after 'standard' feature in recent yrs. Whether to install A/C into properties in order to meet expectations and to minimise vacancy is yet another debate.
Cheers

Get some AC it's expected these days. That, or a south American with a fan.

Whether to install A/C into properties in order to meet expectations and to minimise vacancy is yet another debate.
Cheers

Am in the same boat. Temps get ridiculous in top floor flat. Have certainly come to enjoy the evaporative air con in the house I'm in atm. Wonder how I ever lived without it :p.

Cheers

If it's not a deal breaker for you, see if you can get the agent to warm up the deal with the installation of the a/c if that's the only sticking point.

Back