tenant arrear update.

Well just a quick update on tenant arrear situation which has been previously discussed on our NZ property.
We issued a 10 day notice to remedy and came to an arrangement ( over phone) that they could pay an extra $20 P.W untill they caught up.
The 10 days passed and no $20 extra was paid although they continued paying rent each week leaving them as 2 weeks arrears still.
3 days after the 10 day notice they started to pay the extra $20 P.W. just as we were contemplating our next move.
Am i right in thinking it would be hard to evict them?
They have broken the 10 day notice but I am sure the tenancy court would be on there side since they have finally started paying the extra.

I'd be evicting if i were in your shoes, but after they've caught up. It will only happen again - sounds as though they may be professional tenants.

If you don't want to evict, point out to them quite firmly that paying rent is a fundamental and essential term of the lease agreement. And ring them every week on the day their rent is due to remind them. If they say they can't come in that day, ask them when they will pay so you can write it in their diary and follow them up if they don't.

Tell them that future rent payments need to be made by direct debit. Some people are just a bit lazy and this would make it more convenient for them to pay. It may not be possible at this point but you could make it a condition of any future tenant leases. It makes it very easy to check if tenants pay on time if you can check your account using internet banking.

Bill

Whitt,

Aside from the other fantastic suggestions :) It might also be a possibility to have the money paid directly to you, without hitting the tenant's account.

Direct debit is great, IF they leave the money there to get debited out!

If your tenant works, you might make an arrangement with them to have their wages split so that part goes directly to your agent's trust account. OR if they are on benifits, it would be worth finding out if NZCentrelink (you know what I mean!) can pay you directly, I know they can here, but would be worth finding out if they do there too!

Let us know how it goes!

asy :D

Back