Tenant can't get gas

Hi,

The tenant complain there is no gas for hot water and stove for cooking.

it is due to the my unit block is repairing the gas system.

Question:

As a landlord, what can i do ?

the rent is $420, does anyone think I should give them discount ? by how much ?

Unfortunately its part of life. Its not your fault, and I presume that everyone in the unit block is in the same situation. Are they asking your for compensation?

its good they arent asking for compensation

i recently had a tenant ask for compensation for not having smoke alarms......

after refusing to let tradies in to install them, after he requested them

Gas is as essential as electricity and water but I don't see how an outage due to an upgrade is cause for compensation. It's not like the gas wasn't working when they moved in.

If it is a whole of block situation, then the Body Corporate is responsible to provide alternative facilities - no hot water is a breach of your lease and the tenant can arrange an emergency plumber to come out and install an electric HWS AT YOUR COST!!!! Pull your finger out and advise the strata manager of the situation as a matter of urgency.

If it is only your unit affected, then the same applies to you to rectify or provide alternatives.

just because the unitblock is upgrading the gas doesn't mean the tenant isn't entitled to compensation.

JHC.....you soft as marsh-mallow Tenancy Advocates and lawyers really are the scourge of society. You are always - without fail - at the root cause of all of the conflicts and disputes.

Back in the real world, yes - no gas supply for a short period, this happened to us as Tenants - we politely informed the Landlord of the supply problem, let them get on with it within a reasonable time frame.....and in the meantime made do.

Life was still extremely pleasant, and the innovative techniques we utilised to overcome this tiny temporary road bump in our lives was no big deal.

We still had running water and electricity. It's amazing how much can be accomplished with those two. The roof was still there. All of the bedrooms were still there. The backyard was still there. In fact, 99.9% of what we were renting was still there and worked just fine.

We didn't let the 0.1% that wasn't temporarily working trip us up, or go into a big sissy fit over it.

Lawyers and some of their oft quoted BS laws have made drama queens out of everyone nowadays. It's beyond pathetic.

We didn't let the 0.1% that wasn't temporarily working trip us up, or go into a big sissy fit over it.

That's good. I do like your positive attitude in that situation. It doesn't change the fact that a tenant probably has a legal right to seek a rent reduction for the period of loss of gas if they wanted to.

Have you spoken to your body corp management? How long is this going to be an issue? Gas for cooking and water is a necessity and although most will put up with the inconvenience (assuming they were given reasonable notice) for a day or two, I think your tenant deserves to know whats going on. This needs immediate action by you and if you need to put pressure on your body corp to get it finished asap, then that is what you must do.
Tgan

Hi,

thanks for all the reply.

Body corporate knows this issue.

If the tenants ask for rent reduction, will they have the right to be compensated ? how much is reasonable amount ? $20, $30 or more ? currrent rent is $420

Hi,

thanks for all the reply.

Body corporate knows this issue.

If the tenants ask for rent reduction, will they have the right to be compensated ? how much is reasonable amount ? $20, $30 or more ? currrent rent is $420

If I was without hot water or cooking facilities I know I would be after the cost of alternative accommodation for the period but you do have options eg: temp showering & cooking or providing the phone number for the nearest homeless shelter. Of course it will depend upon how long the tenants will be without services. It will be BC's issue to compensate the occupants.

Back