Tenant compensation

Hi

Facts:
My tenant (unique occupier of a 3 bedroom house) from C Cst informed me of what he believed to be a burst pipe The bathroom and his bedroom walls are in common. The burst caused the wall to be wet and water soaked the bedroom carpet.
The plumber stopped and fixed the pipe the day after.

The plumber had the key to access the house and that did not bother the tenant who was also fine at start saying it nothing was bothering him, he understood that issues happen with old house , that nothing was bothering him and he was staying at his girlfriend.

Issues:
As I asked the plumber about compensation to tenant, the plumber suggested $100 (28% of the wkly rent that is less than 1/3),

An email lately received from the tenant shows me a complete change of his attitude and feelings.

The tenant claims compensation as he said that
1/ He could not use the whole house for over 1 week (while the pipe was fixed the day after and only the bedroom he sleeps in was affected for 7 days)
2/ He had industrial fans (the bill says 1 air mover and not many) to dry up the carpet and wall for 7 days (I have to check the number of days with the supplier of service)
3/ That he had to call someone from Sydney 3 days at a significant cost to open his shop nearby in CC. (I think the shop has staff.

Decisions?
I was wondering about the amount of compensation would be fair, considering that me too I ended with a big bill.
I did not increase his rent at end of year end lease, and I found the reason for maximazing the claim a bit harsh.
My reading about compensation is that: I took the appropriate measure, immediately when informed, to repair, and that tenant can not claim full week of compensation.

1/ Only 1 bedroom out the 3 bedrooms was not inhabitable for sleep due to soaked carpet and wall for 1 week
What would be a fair compensation for this in percentage ? (otherwise say the rt is 355 pw)
2/ Electricity use - compensation ? (see below)
3/ I suppose that no landlord (as he is himself) compensate for the 3rd reason)
===========
PLUMBER:
The plumber wanted to contact his own carpet dryer and handyman for gyprock wall and paint.
He sent me a bill with all work with no $ disclosure, just a total.
He got mad when I called him to get carpet dryer and handyman copy of bills as it was originally agreed. I can claim over the excess all but the plumbing work if I want!
I now have the 3 bills

ELECTRICITY ISSUE - Plumber - Carpet dryer - Tenant - Insurance
Now, I don't know if the carpet dryer recorded the electricity meter before and after end of air mover use.
I have just read from Carpet dryer websites that I could claim the cost of the electricity used by the air mover - (that is though in this case, as the tenant makes a claim to me I can claim back from the insurance, but the carpet dryer did not take note)
..................So what to do? Estimate by calling the carpet dryer and x cent per hour.

What is your though on this too

Thank you very much

Last edited:
So your post is quite unclear about what exactly has happened. Its impossible to advise without knowing what the situation is.

So firstly:

1. What is the tenant saying has happened to his tenancy?
2. Do you agree with his factual claims?
3. If not, what evidence do you have to the contrary?

Then I can probably give some advice on it.

Burst pipe in the bathroom caused by previous owner renovating himself.

1/The burst caused the separating wall (bathroom - bedroom) to be wet and then the carpet itself

2/ Yes I agree with the burst pipe and damages, confirmed by plumber.
------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is as mentioned and that is where we have discrepancies.
3/ Only 1 bedroom affected - Only 1 air mover mentioned - both in the bill
I don't know if he could not have showers after the plumber repaired the the leak the next day by replacing the pipe. I have to ask. But it looks from the bill that the whole plumbing involvement stopped after the 'replace', then the gyprock wall and paint took over. I don't know if this job disallow usage of the shower. If so, both that bedroom and the shower of the bathroom was not usable.
4/ I have checked the photos, out of 3 bedrooms, 2 have good double beds so he could sleep in the other room.

I have just emailed the carpet dryer to ask about - power consumption of the equipment and number of hours effectively used - as energy consumption.
I will call them tomorrow to know the whole issue re: occupancy issue
-----
Thank you

Last edited:
The industrial dryers are pretty expensive to hire (and run I'm told) and can be noisy how long was it used for?

You can figure out the hourly cost by knowing the wattage of the fan and go from there, as far as the compensation, he did have other rooms available so from the information you've given I do think $100 is fair.

Remember, if it goes further, it doesn't matter to the tribunal that you didn't increase the rent at the lease renewal, I know it's hard but you need to treat this incident as separate to everything else :).

Seems like your making a mountain out of a mole hill. How much time have you spent on this? How much is your time worth to you? Unless the rent the rent is 1200 pw I would just give the guy a week free and move on.

It seems you did everything in a 'timely' fashion.
You fixed the problem, and the tenant is not required to be compensated.

It seems now, someone is whispering in the tenant's ear.
Your offer of $100 is generous.
It compensates for the electricity used for the dryer.
If the tenant doesn't agree, let them take you to tribunal.

Increase his rent, at the next opportunity.

Thank you VERY much for all your feedback.
I have not yet heard from the tenant... Your feedback is very helpful

(sorry I did not receive any notice my post had replies, even with 'instant email notification !)

Back