Tenant debt soars to $41m

I would say they enjoy having private landlords subsidise housing when they look at the below

Tenant debt soars to $41m

The amount public housing tenants owe the State Government for repairs, rubbish removal, rent and water bills has blown out to more than $41 million.

The Opposition says the outstanding debt is a ?black hole?, because much of it will never be repaid.

Department of Housing figures tabled in Parliament this week show outstanding tenant debt had increased $29.4 million since June 2007, from $12.1 million to $41.5 million on April 30 this year. About $7.96 million included in this financial year?s figure has been deemed ?non-recoverable? and will be written off, but the write-off is yet to be signed off on.

The department had $31.62 million of outstanding tenant debt on its books at the end of last financial year.

Almost half the $41 million figure ? $19.88 million ? is money owed for damage. Debt from unpaid water bills stood at $5.25 million and rent at $5.87 million.

In the Greens negative gearing proposal, they suggested abolishing that will add a very similar figure.

Therefore, why won't the Greens suggest measures to get state tenants paying, instead, if it indeed has a similar outcome?

Put them out on the street! ;)

It's the gummints fault if, as a landlord, they haven't put in measures to get the rebt paid through benefits first rather than joining the queue of tenant priorities: ciggies, grog, pokies, micky dees, weed/crack, car, partying, clothing, mobile......oh utilities and rent simply don't rate as a priority.

Put them out on the street! ;)

It's the gummints fault if, as a landlord, they haven't put in measures to get the rebt paid through benefits first rather than joining the queue of tenant priorities: ciggies, grog, pokies, micky dees, weed/crack, car, partying, clothing, mobile......oh utilities and rent simply don't rate as a priority.

i trust that's tongue in cheek....there are a lot of people struggling out there because of poor education (life and books) and trying to get by.

it's not all episodes of houso's.

Very much TIC Aaron.

Risk mitigation is just where the mismanagement has occurred over progressive governments. The social aspect must also be considered paramount as we don't have the expectation of slums or ghettos for our underprivileged.

i trust that's tongue in cheek....there are a lot of people struggling out there because of poor education (life and books) and trying to get by.

it's not all episodes of houso's.

I don't understand how a lack of education can be an excuse in the age of information but whatever.

there is so much risk with resi investment that is not reflected in yield - the laws are so anti-owner it's ridiculous.

Seems its just par for the course to stop paying your rent 4 weeks before bailing,don't bother cleaning anything, run up a decent ol water bill, trash the joint and then just get the owner to submit it all to insurance to sort out. the dream.

I don't understand how a lack of education can be an excuse in the age of information but whatever.

Well you said yourself now didn't you!

2.5 million Australians live in poverty, woman children and elderly people at the top if the list, I'd say food, warmth and medicine comes before anything else

Well you said yourself now didn't you!

2.5 million Australians live in poverty, woman children and elderly people at the top if the list, I'd say food, warmth and medicine comes before anything else

you would think that, however given what I have seen, radiorental contracts for ipads and a raft of other consumer subscriptions like foxtel and other junk seem to rank above shelter

you would think that, however given what I have seen, radiorental contracts for ipads and a raft of other consumer subscriptions like foxtel and other junk seem to rank above shelter

No mate

pretty certain children and the elderly don't go out and buy iPads and foxtel subscriptions, seriously

You are obviously talking about some minority or else you work in some office dealing in credit, probably in a radio rentals store and think that every application is some evil tenant in arrears

They certainly do!
pretty certain children and the elderly don't go out and buy iPads and foxtel subscriptions, seriously

You are obviously talking about some minority or else you work in some office dealing in credit, probably in a radio rentals store and think that every application is some evil tenant in arrears

The problem is that the PARENTS OF THE CHILDREN do, and they do it in place of paying for necessities. (for the children) There is no education on what is a need and what is a want, and even if there was, the type of person that does this just doesn't care.

Back