Tenant has reported Bathroom problems - Help?

Hi all,

I hope this is in the right place, as I don't get to post very often, I mainly read.

My tenant in Victoria has advised me of some issues with both the ensuite and bathroom in my investment property that was built 3 years ago. They've reported an issue where there is a water leak somewhere and it's leaking onto the carpet in the bedrooms hallway, along with the carpet in the main bedroom.

I got the property manager to send a Plumber out as we thought it might be the pipes causing it. When he checked it, he checked the water pressure and the pipes in the wall behind the showers. After assessment, he deemed that the leak was coming from the shower recess itself and has recommended that we do a complete shower recess refit - tiles, screen, plaster and waterproofing!

I've had someone out to do a quote for each bathroom but my question is, should this be covered under warranty?

I spoke to the builder as it's only 3 years old but unfortunately, a week after my house was built, the building company closed. It got merged into another building company, then they split again, and they're no longer open, but are still operating... If that makes sense? After contacting the builder and getting a response from his lawyers office, he gave me the waterproofer and drainage contractors details for THEIR warranty. I contacted the Waterproofer and he said he didn't think it was a waterproofing issue but would investigate and since then, he has not responded to a single email I've sent. It's been over one and a half months now, and I have emailed him 3 times since the last response.

If you've read this far, thanks :p Does ANYONE have any tips or suggestions as this is affecting my tenants and my property?

Well sounds like he is trying to flog you off of cause he would say its not the waterproofing lol,To me what you are describing is a waterproof problemif it was me I would want to fix it and keep tenant happy and would just get a company like megaseal to repair complete shower seal costs about $750.

Well sounds like he is trying to flog you off of cause he would say its not the waterproofing lol,To me what you are describing is a waterproof problemif it was me I would want to fix it and keep tenant happy and would just get a company like megaseal to repair complete shower seal costs about $750.

My apologies. I forgot to mention that I've already had Megaseal out before and they've already "fixed" this issue. They resealed both the ensuite shower and the bathroom shower. It was done about a year ago now, so my property manager got them to come back out and inspect and they advised there was an underlying issue and must be a problem with the build.

My apologies. I forgot to mention that I've already had Megaseal out before and they've already "fixed" this issue. They resealed both the ensuite shower and the bathroom shower. It was done about a year ago now, so my property manager got them to come back out and inspect and they advised there was an underlying issue and must be a problem with the build.

There response seems a bit odd,the only way water can leak from where you state is inadequate or cracked waterproofing membrane so I cannot see where they are coming from ,they said a underlying issue without a proper answer I feel I know a few people who have had to get them out a couple of times to re fix their work. Maybe talk to the person direct to get a clear and precise prognosis .

Lodge a claim with VCAT stating that the builder has gone down the gurgler. That the waterproofer is not responding etc.

Get a claim in with your landlords insurer.

You are going to have to do repairs - and soon. The issue of who pays will have to be sorted out later.

By your first post it is already more than 6 weeks since the tenant advised you of the problem. The carpets must be very smelly by now and you are leaving yourself open to the tenant taking you to the tribunal if you refuse to act.

Wet carpets will soon grow mould problems and resulting health issues. As a landlord it is your responsibility to provide safe premises.
Marg

Thanks all for the tips! I'll see what route I can take and will let you guys know how I go, incase anyone else has a similar issue :)

I have a similar issue at the moment; although the builder has gone completely bust.

Send an email to the waterproofing company (cc the builder) explaining if they do not respond within 24 hours, you will be arranging your own tradesperson and claiming the repair costs from them and contact consumer affairs.

Do you have the copy of the warranty insurance?

Also, you should've contacted the builder immediately the first time you became aware of the issue (or your PM should've) as it's a new property.

Also, you should've contacted the builder immediately the first time you became aware of the issue (or your PM should've) as it's a new property.
Absolutely! And did you notify the builder and/or waterproofer before you got Megaseal in? I hope that by doing works they haven't invalidated your warranty... :eek:

Back