Tenant in arrears due to not paying increased rent

My PM contacted me late last year on hitting the tenant up for a rent increase which I agreed to. Come January the rental receipts state the higher rent figure.

5 months later I change agents due to incompetency on original PM on letting the house fall into bad disrepair. at no time did PM inform me of any rent arrears. A few weeks after PM change, new PM notices the tenants are not paying full weekly rent amount.

Tenants now claim they never received a rent increase letter and will take the matter to the tribunal as they should not have to pay increased rent for the past 7 months.

Is this just bad luck to me or is there a way of recouping the shortfall? New PM can't see any rent increase letter on transferred file. I didn't notice any arrears on the monthly statements (said tenant was in credit).

Come January the rental receipts state the higher rent figure....... . A few weeks after PM change, new PM notices the tenants are not paying full weekly rent amount.

Beachgurl,

I don't quite get this - has your rental statemetns been showing the higher amount all this time?

The Y-man

If rent increase letter did issue then its tough tiddies for the tenant. They will have to cough up.

Except the tenants said they never received it and are willing to go to tribunal over it.

So what's more likely here, the tenant lying or the PM lying?

"Come January the rental receipts state the higher rent figure."

Higher rent shown on rental receipts - I conclude the tenant is lying in this case. Tenant must pay up.

The tenants regular excuse to everything is that "I didn't get the letter". New PM suspects subletting which would explain why no notices are ever received

"Come January the rental receipts state the higher rent figure."

Higher rent shown on rental receipts - I conclude the tenant is lying in this case. Tenant must pay up.

Is to possible that correct notice was not given?

Unless you can pull a copy of the rent increase notice out and show the tribunal official that it is correct and was delivered to the right people with the appropriate period of notice, then I reckon the tenant's case is strong.

Come January the rental receipts state the higher rent figure.
Do you mean that the tenants were at some point paying the higher rent, or do you mean that the real estate agent's statement said "$X per week" somewhere, and that was the higher rent figure?

You or your new PM will need to contact your old agent to provide a copy off the rent letter that was sent increasing the rent. If a letter is provided and sent with appropiate 60 days notice + postage then it is deemed sent and recieved.

Back